A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Boost controls and Chips...Do you need Both?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-1999, 09:15 AM
Kian

Default Boost controls and Chips...Do you need Both?

I was wondering can you just use a boost control to make the stock turbo on the A4 boost one bar, or do you have to have a chip installed first. I would rather have a boost control in my car and no chip. Does the combonation work better, or should i just choose one.<br>thanks
Old 05-12-1999, 09:59 AM
Brett

Default A boost controller will not work (more)

You cannot use an aftermarket boost controller on the A4 1.8T. If you attempt to do so the car will go into limp mode. This is due to the way the computer controls the boost frequency valve.<p>Brett<br>
Old 05-12-1999, 10:41 AM
state

Default You need a new ECU!-- (was Re: Boost controls and Chips...Do you need Both?)

I replied last night, but I think that message (along with many others) was lost? Bummer, I was quite active last night. :-)<p>Anyhow, despite other means of increasing boost without an aftermarket ECU it isn't safe. Keep in mind a reprogrammed ECU address fuel map, timing advance/retard curves, rev/speed limits, etc. Detonation is an everpresent danger in turbo cars and it simply can't be tolerated. E.G. A skilled engineer knows where to address pertinent cells in the program for more fuel (richer) in detonation prone ranges. A ping or two isn't a big deal. In fact it means you are running at the max limit of timing (most power). However runaway detonation will kill your engine. If you want power, you should do it safely. I've known people who have run more boost and NOS setups with stock ECUs only to have problems down the road. You may read elsewhere that you can shim you wastegate rod for more response and the like but it is quite hatchet. This is my third turbo car (300ZX TT, 200SX SE-R 400HP!, and my A4), and my experience indicates you should use the proven tuner parts. Hope this helps.<p>Regards,<br>Searl<br>
Old 05-12-1999, 10:54 AM
kian

Default Re: You need a new ECU!-- (was Re: Boost controls and Chips...Do you need Both?)

Thanks Searl, that helps a lot... So lets say i get a new ECU is it okay to still get the Boost control. I mean I like the idea of boosting 1 bar all the time but just to control my urge i wanna be able to switch it on and off with a button. Will everyhting work smoothly or should i just go with the ECU... thanks for listening...<br>
Old 05-12-1999, 11:10 AM
Greg W

Default This may not be a problem...

If you're concerned about chipping because you will be "running 1.0 Bar all the time," then relax. People on this board who have boost gauges (SeanG, for one) report that they reach max boost ONLY when flooring the accelerator. At other time, the boost is less, or even none. So, if you don't want to run increased boost all the time, the switch you need is in your right foot. Stay easy on the gas, and you won't hit peak boost, ever.<p>Greg
Old 05-12-1999, 10:04 PM
state

Default Re: You need a new ECU!-- (was Re: Boost controls and Chips...Do you need Both?)

I'm glad this helps, but you really don't have to worry about not wanting the extra power! A properly tuned ECU will not feel like a simple switch in power, rather more like an integral part of your car. In our small displacement motors, the small turbo is extremely responsive. As a result it will feel much more like a bigger motor. Personally, I don't even want gauges polluting my beautiful interior. I won't consider a turbo timer or the like. Tune it and forget it! :-)<p>Regards,<br>Searl
Old 05-13-1999, 03:31 AM
steve moyle

Default Re: A boost controller will not work (more)

That seems strange since Ive been using one for over a year now working fine. SM