A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

BOV symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2nd that!

Is your car a - gasp - tip or stick Sir?
Old 01-08-2005, 10:58 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Not so fast junior...

You throw out a blanket statement indicating "BOV's being bad" is a wives tale. And you don't expect anyone to challenge that?

Furthermore you're using a BOV that's intended to operate like a BPV...just enough so that the car doesn't have severe drivabiiity issues, and you don't call that hyprocritical? The fact that you're using that valve suggests you understand the trade off, but are willingly accepting it. Well, if you are willing to concede there is a trade off here, then how in the world can you call this a wives tale?
Old 01-08-2005, 11:22 AM

dont laugh but it's tip
Old 01-08-2005, 11:26 AM

it runs fine just is making right noise
Old 01-08-2005, 11:42 AM
Elder Member

Default Any bov will cause the car to run rich when ever you release the throttle

and the bov releases the pressure. This also includes the hybrid and this shows with the wide band that I have with the GFB hybrid. It is pretty easy to understand since any time you remove air out of the system the AFR will become richer then it should have been if the air was there.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:39 PM

Sir, I will never laugh becasue like you I work pretty hard for my money so that I can buy things that please me not someone else.

I too drive a TIP and is the best thing for my Los Angeles area commute.

The reason that I ask is just to get an idea of what you have as I think about this.

What BOV do you have adn you really need to think about a hybrid one instead.

LLTek has hybrid BOVs advertised in there magazine BTW so it can't be that bad.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Not so fast junior...

Very funny RKA but unless you are old enough to have changed my diapers then calling me junior is nonsensical.

BTW, I will VAG my car monthly to see what develops. Despite the fact of the hand wringling and old wives tale regarding BOV I will continue to run one until MY findings dictate that I shouldn't.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default He's calling you junior cause your AID is so high. You're a Junior here.

:-p
Old 01-08-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: He's calling you junior cause your AID is so high. You're a Junior here.

I am afraid to ask what AID interprets to but since we already know I am a sacrificial noob let's have it - lol.

Seriously though I may be new to Audis but I am not new to cars in general. But that is neither here nor there.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default basically your userid ;-) RKA been around since about day 1, and basically posts more than anyone.

and amazingly he posts useful information frequently as well! ;-)

Because the recirc dumps the air after the MAF, it's assumed by the ECU to be in the system still. That's why it runs rich whenever the BOV opens (let off gas for shift, etc). Also, if the spring is not adjusted correctly, the valve can be partially open at idle, causing rich idle as well.

Also, most 1.8T owners that have run a full BOV end up either doing a hybrid or back to BPV due to richness issues which HURT performance. Personally I don't want a BOV sound unless it's going to help performance.. since it doesn't, skip.

Quick Reply: BOV symptoms