A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

broken turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-1999, 03:23 PM
nic

Default broken turbo

My A4 1.8T qt. with 3500 miles just went in with a broken, "blown-up," coming apart turbo. I have a Neuspeed chip and a RamAir filter. I have never abused the car and always let it wind down for several seconds after a long or high speed drive.<p>The dealer expressed that this was quite unusual, that problems with the turbo's, at least this problem, is very rare...almost unheard of. Has anyone else experienced this? Any problems with the RamAir filter coming apart?
Old 04-22-1999, 03:27 PM
Stu Koch

Broken wastegate. Very common problem.
Old 04-22-1999, 04:04 PM
nic

Default More than a waste gate??

I have read of the waste gate problem in these pages. However, the service rep. said the blades of the turbo are coming apart. Please excuse my ignorance if I am wrong, but is the waste gate part of the turbine blades and bearings?
Old 04-22-1999, 04:07 PM
Kevin G

Is the dealer giving you grief about warranty because of the upgrades?
Old 04-22-1999, 04:12 PM
T2

Default Re: More than a waste gate??

Blades would suggest a lot more than the wastegate. Cause could be temperature, poor materials, etc...
Old 04-22-1999, 04:20 PM
nic

Default no grief. great dealer.

It will be covered by warranty. If the airfilter was part of the cause, they will not warranty it again if I do not replace it with stock. Duh.
Old 04-22-1999, 04:36 PM
nic

Default temperature? materials?

One would think that since this is the biggest selling engine in Europe and quite popular here that we would of heard more of this, if the materials where inferior. By temperature do you mean engine or outside? the temp gage is always straight up, dead center. I would like to know if anyone has experienced this or knows of anyone.
Old 04-22-1999, 07:00 PM
T2

Default Re: temperature? materials?

I was refering to the temperature that the blades actually see. Material defects can occur - and they can be very rare - maybe you have a rare one?<p>
Old 04-22-1999, 09:49 PM
Christian

Default Re: Does the dealer know you are chipped?.n/t

n/t
Old 04-23-1999, 02:37 AM
Garrett

Default Re: temperature? materials?

Dear Nick..<p>I think you just had bad luck.. The K03 is a VERY high quality turbo.. capable of much more boost than stock (7-6psi).. We ran one at 22 psi for over 2 months on pump gas, just to see if it would die, pop, etc.... it is still being abused hard at one+ bar. I sincerely doubt that Neuspeed Pchip nor the airfilter hurt the turbo. <p>These are mechanical beasts. All there had to be was microscopic-stress (from the birth of the turbo) on one of the blade and poweeee.. It proably would have died anyways. Better sooner than later. <p>good luck.<br>feel free to email me if you have ??s.<p>Garrett<p>

Quick Reply: broken turbo