A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Building a water to air IC for the TDI Rover - anyone have exp. with these?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a water to air IC for the TDI Rover - anyone have exp. with these?

I seem to recall Will (WJM) did, any current thoughts on size of front mounted heat exchanger needed to support say 250-300 HP?

Just thought I'd post here since you're all so wonderful and super-dooper nice. *brown nose*

EDIT: My IC, actually aftercooler to be true is pretty frickin' big so i should be able to pull plenty of heat out - just need to know about what size secondary cooler everyone might think is needed if I wasn't clear above.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default This isn't going to help much, but...

...my experience with the Miata and air/water is that the system would heat soak under heavy use. I had a supercharger running 8 psi and a PWR 12 x 4 IC. I never bothered to try to figure out where the shortcoming was, I just chucked the whole thing for an air/air system and now my life is bliss.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks---->

I need something that will work at 4x4 off-road speeds as well as slow towing/winching etc etc.

I also have NO room left for a proper FMIC at all. None.

One trouble I would imagine is that the pump and front mounted heat exchanger need to be pretty well "in tune" with each other or you'll get heat soak - obviously. Also a fan mounted to the heat exchanger is a good idea I'd imagine.

My plan is for a variable speed pump so i can play with it a bit and to mount a couple heat sensors in the unit to monitor it, at least at first to tweak it all correctly.

I guess the answer to the heat exchanger is probably as big as i can fit...... thinking maybe a left over AC condenser I have sitting here in the shop. It's big, and thin enough that it won't slow down the air to much going back into the radiator? Maybe. ;-P

Old 07-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default I used a motorcycle radiator. It wasn't enough.

I'd try to find a thin radiator from a small import, or daisy chain motorcycle rads or heater cores. I don't think you'll be able to get the flow you need through the condensor; the inlet and outlet are so small that you'll need a pretty high pressure pump to get decent flow.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ....

I'm no expert on fluid dynamics but I suspect that a condenser might not flow enough to provide ample cooling if you were say towing something or running the engine under load for any sustained period of time.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hmm, true. I can source a nice small honda rad. I suppose. V-Tech for teh Rover yO! Thanks.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Now that I think about it you're prob. right.

I actually have a toyota rad. that has like 3/4 inch coolant lines... I was amazed at how small they were. The rad. itself is actually pretty good sized and maybe an inch thick. It's a perfect radiator I took it out at the request of a customer as they had put some oil into it! ( Tip of the day: Do not add oil to your coolant thinking it's where the oil goes..... yes it was a woman I hate to say )

It may work but it may be too high for my space.

Thinking HD truck style "stacked plate" transmission coolers are the way.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:30 PM

Default Contact Will (as you mentioned) ... He is very knowledgable & I'm sure

would be happybto help
Old 07-20-2008, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bill Schimel (Schimel Perfromance), Autoextrem out of Ottowa both are running....

Air--&gt;2h20 race cars with it. Schimel sells kits.<ul><li><a href="http://www.spturboparts.com/aftermarket/ViewDetails.aspx?prod=16255">Cleek</a></li></ul>
Old 07-20-2008, 04:50 PM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bigger is better, but dont go nuts...

The larger the exchanger, the more hear you'll get out, which means you dont need as much water, or will sustain for longer. Again dont go nuts this is after all a rover we are talking about

Give me a UPS shipper and I'll send you my old cooler free. Which was fine for a 0-120+ straight pull.

Quick Reply: Building a water to air IC for the TDI Rover - anyone have exp. with these?