A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Buying A4 - What's with "wet braking/delayed braking" problems I've been reading here??? (more)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2000, 08:47 AM
DC

Default Buying A4 - What's with "wet braking/delayed braking" problems I've been reading here??? (more)

I've read a few posts here from people who are experiencing wet braking problems with their stock Qs, some saying they've experienced as much as a 4 sec delay before the brakes actually take hold, feeling uncomfortable driving in wet conditions. Is this a known problem and a concern or possibly just people who have never driven cars with ABS? I'm about to purchase an A4 1.8TQ and on the test drives, the braking was one of the characteristics I was most impressed with, although I didn't have the pleasure of driving in wet conditions. Now these posts have me wondering. Those A4 veterans in the know, please set me straight!
Old 02-20-2000, 08:50 AM
DC

Forgot to mention the A4 I'm looking at is a tip if that matters
Old 02-20-2000, 09:15 AM
TomF

Default Re: Buying A4 - What's with "wet braking/delayed braking" problems I've been reading here??? (more)

This seems to be one of those things some people experience and others never do. I've owned my 1.8T for over 2 years no and have never noticed anything unusual about wet braking on my car (and it gets quite wet here in upstate NY).

Tom
1.8TQMS Silver/Ecru
Old 02-20-2000, 09:17 AM
Tom

Default My A4 with 4-second wet braking delay is a rarity.......

Usually you heard 2 seconds delay but my A4 is rare with long 4-second delay issue which is completely uncommon in a German car. Not all A4s have this problem, say my girlfriend's 98.5 doesn't have this issue.
Actually the only one who complained about 4-second delay is me, so you should not worry about others who have the same problem.
AoA documented this issue, the district manager took a look at the brakes but they couldn't find the problem and I will go aftermarket brake pads in very near future to see if it improves the matter.
Tom
97 A4 1.8TQMS
99 BORA GLS 2.0
00 (OR 01) NEW BEETLE GLS 1.9TDI (ON ORDER)
98.5 A4 1.8TQAS WETTED
Old 02-20-2000, 09:46 AM
Jason H

Default Are you buying new or used?...

I've heard this was a problem with SOME 97-99 cars. If you're buying a '00 I wouldn't worry at
all, I've driven my '00 1.8T in some pretty heavy rain and never felt ANY delay in brake
activation, even after cruising on the highway for a few miles and then using the brakes. HTH
Old 02-20-2000, 09:48 AM
CraigB

Default Here's the problem as I see it...

The A4 (at least my '98.5) has no inner shields on the front rotors. It does have them on the rear, but those are wasted IMO, since most of the braking power comes from up front. I have had the wet braking problem, but it only started on my car AFTER I installed Rofren pads (and it has occured every time the road is wet). Last week I removed the stock rotors and installed DBA Sport cross-drilled rotors. I had a good oppotunity to test the wet braking problem in some melting snow on Friday and the new rotors performed in the wet just as well as they do in the dry. I do still think that there should be inner shields on the front rotors; this should solve the wet braking problem.

CraigB
Old 02-20-2000, 10:41 AM
Roastie

Default Re: My '00 A4 has the problem. :-(

Searching through the archives, I've found extensive discussion regarding this issue, and more than a few flames from people who don't seem to have problems.

Anyhow, I had not known that this is a common concern among A4 drivers before I got my car. Then, driving to work in the rain one morning, the brakes decided to quit working, but only on the right side! Upon braking, it felt like the back end of the car wanted to kick out to the right, even though I was driving straight. This happened a couple of times, the last was scary because traffic stopped quickly and I had to brake harder. Almost lost it. Steering correction was necessary, even though the tires were NOT skidding.

Since then, at least the brakes have decided to work the same on both sides, unless one wheel track is wetter than the other. Unfortunately, braking performance is poor all around when the roads are wet, even without going through puddles.

I've never driven a car with brakes that are SO sensitive to water. After big puddles or careless car washing, this phenomenon is expected on any vehicle, but not just for surface wetness on the road. I also ride motorcycles whose disc brakes are completely unshielded, and have never had such a problem. (I ride 8 to 9 months a year, in Seattle. Plenty of rain.)

Drilled and/or slotted rotors should help, especially with better pads, but many of the postings in the archives say these don't help much.

For me, this is the biggest disappointment on an otherwise excellent performance sedan. To all of you who don't have this problem, be grateful.
Old 02-20-2000, 10:51 AM
DK

Try Mintex pads, wet braking scares went away.
Old 02-20-2000, 11:03 AM
Roastie

Default Re: Try Mintex pads, wet braking scares went away.

What about drilled and/or slotted rotors to go with them? There are lots of mixed opinions about whether they help or not, and sales literature all says the same thing. ("We're the greatest!") I'd really rather not have to go through a $2000+ brake upgrade right now.
Old 02-20-2000, 11:05 AM
DK

Default Try the pads first.

I had immediate improvement with the pad change. Didn't need the rotor upgrades.

DK

Quick Reply: Buying A4 - What's with "wet braking/delayed braking" problems I've been reading here??? (more)