A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

CALIFORNIA OWNERS...anyone get a "fix-it" ticket for aftermarket exhaust...PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-1999, 09:58 PM
PISSED OFF

Default CALIFORNIA OWNERS...anyone get a "fix-it" ticket for aftermarket exhaust...PLEASE HELP!!

I got a "fix-it" ticket for my APR/Borla exhaust "being too loud." Anyone have any experience with this and suggestions on how to rectify this. I thought the exhaust is supposed to be 50 state legal. PLEASE HELP!!
tia
Old 09-19-1999, 01:32 AM
ChuckH

Default You've got to be kidding! I thought that system was...

...supposed to be one of the more quiet ones. Regardless, I doubt it's any more noisy than and M3 or that of a Ferrari or something along those lines. That is the most rediculous thing I've ehard. I live in Seattle, so I don't know about your laws. I have a Scorpion system, which I think is more prominant to begin with, and it's leaking because of gasket problems. It is still more quiet than the boy racer exhausts, and most super cars. I have never been even pulled over because of the exhaust. I did get pulled over for speeding, and I had the engine wound all the way to almost redline at the time I passed the cop. He didn't say a word about the noise level.

Do you think it seems loud compared to other exhaust systems? If not, then you may have a case. Call APR and ask them about noise laws. Maybe they might be able to send you something that verifies that your exhaust is legal. Aa far as I know, all the aftermarket exhausts available are designed to meet noise regulations, and infact, may even have to be tested before they can be sold. Not sure though. If someone then removes the resonator or something, then it is no longer a design issue, but it doesn't sound like you did that. Maybe the cop thought it was leaking or something. perhaps you just need to show that everything is properly installed and you have not modified the exhaust system.

Good Luck!

Charles
Old 09-19-1999, 10:27 AM
JohnO

Default I am SO sure....

What a load of hooey. Did the cop get you with a decibel meter or something? If not, I would start lodging complaints against him/her with the department, I would also complain to the court. Bottom line, if your catalytic convertor is in place and you have some sort of muffler I am pretty sure you are ok. While it has been four years since I was a CA resident, I drove around with my relatively loud Leistritz muffler totally unmolested for years.

Where in the heck did you get this ticket, Berkeley or somewhere in Marin County?

JohnO

BTW, I live in Michigan where there are NO smog checks. It is very common to see Mustangs, Camaros, etc. with straight exhaust systems without even catalytic convertors. No enforcement here whatsoever.
Old 09-19-1999, 06:19 PM
Gordon Martin

Default In case your muffler is actually loud...

A guy posted a few months back about his Stebor exhaust creating a huge amount of low level noise. Turned out that his two pipes were working together to create a loud harmonic. When he got the distance between the two pipes changed, it quieted right down.

Hope this helps,

Gordon Martin
98.5 2.8QMS (Santorin Blue)
Old 09-19-1999, 09:29 PM
J

Default cops in CA are Bit*hes get used to it....

make sure ur exhaust isn't too noticable ie big tips shinny can thats what they look for... and if u see one don't rev... thats the best u can do... if u try to fight it u won't win i promise...

feelin ur pain