A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Can someone explain to me in a nutshell over steer and under steer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone explain to me in a nutshell over steer and under steer?

I'm having my coil overs installed today on a FWD '97 1.8T. My mechanic wants to know how i found it drove before so he can tune it properly.

Can someone decribe what under and over steer are so I can tell him what I noticed while driving the car before?
Old 06-11-2002, 05:19 AM

Default understeer the front end of the car plows (goes straight even though you have the wheel turned) more

Oversteer the rear of the car steps or slides out

This is not the official definition, but should give you a more realistic idea of what he's talking about.

Most OEM cars are setup to have understeer so that when people get in trouble and slam the brakes at least they can see what they are going to hit ... race cars are normally setup with a little more oversteer so that you can drift the rear end out around turns. (bigger rear sway bar than front).
Old 06-11-2002, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ever drive in snow? Turn wheel sharply, front end goes straight instead of turning = understeer.

Make same turn, and rear end wants to come around = oversteer.

Vic
Old 06-11-2002, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ever go back to the track w/ ur a4?
Old 06-11-2002, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default it is all about the tires losing grip...

Understeer - when the car is not steering as much as it should be for the amount that you have the wheel turned, understeer. Like the other examples state. When you are driving in the snow and you have the wheels turned really hard, but you just keep goin straight. The front tires have lost some grip.

Oversteer - Just the opposite. The rear tires are losing grip and the back end is coming aorund more than it should be for the amount of steering input.
Old 06-11-2002, 05:29 AM

Thanks guys...I notice a lot of understeer the most then
Old 06-11-2002, 05:41 AM
Elder Member

Default Understeer: you hit the wall nose first, oversteer: you hit the wall tail first

FWD and AWD cars will have lots more understeer than oversteer.

regards,
Liam
Old 06-11-2002, 05:52 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stock A4's understeer......the coilovers should reduce understeer a bit.......

if after the coilovers it still understeers more than you like, get a stiffer rear sway bar.
Old 06-11-2002, 05:56 AM

Default Here ya go !!

<ul><li><a href="http://www.seansa4page.com/resource/steering.html">http://www.seansa4page.com/resource/steering.html</a</li></ul>
Old 06-11-2002, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: yeah but also It depends how you have your car set up.....

My Quattro a4 seems to exhibit both tendencies. When the car is pushed a moderate amount it wants to push (under steer). When driving very aggressively on the track or in wet condition, or when late braking the rear end gets light and comes way out. I guess if your tail braking and you stay on the gas when getting on the brake it helps keep the car in a balanced state however, this is not something I practice or have even tried. The feeling of power overseer can usually only be felt when the roads are wet and you gas it hard around a corner. I guess my point is that staying on the gas in a Quattro car through the corner is important and helps hold a good line but if you apex too soon you can improve traction by staying on the gas until the rear end starts to let go (power over steer I guess). Taking your foot of the gas in a corner will cause the car to tuck or turn in and cause the rear to come out if you hit the brake. When I say on and off the gas I don't really mean off and on I mean letting off a little or gassing it a little *** ness arty. So it depends on a lot of factors I guess. Can any more experienced drivers add something here? Also I run a stiff springs and a stiff sway bar in the rear so my handling characteristics are going to be very different then say a stock sport set up.

Quick Reply: Can someone explain to me in a nutshell over steer and under steer?