A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

changing timing belt 2001 AWM engine code

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing timing belt 2001 AWM engine code

Well I got'r done. I used Andy's tech article, but there are some key differences on an AWM, which has an internal water pump. Here is a summary of the differences:

No change to procedure for bumper removal]

No change to draining the radiator or removing the condensor, but you can't remove the radiator.

After you get the condensor off unbolt the lock carrier and pull it forward about 6 inches. You can then bolt it back up in service position. There is no way to swing it out of the way like he did.

After getting the lock carrier into service position everything is the same except the procedure for the thermostat, which is behind the alternator. Instead of removing the gel fan blades, you remove the whole pully assembly. To do this put a drift or a punch in a hole on the back side of the pully to hold it and remove the center bolt. Next remove both bolts on the alternator which will give you access to the thermostat.

No change to procedure for replacing the timing belt, but you need to do the water pump first. It is simple, 3 bolts and you are done. The tensioner is also different on an AWM. You do not need to remove the brass piece. Simply bolt up the new one, which is on an eccentric, get the tensioner postioned and pull the spade that is holding the piston back.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:22 PM
BSK
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default send an email to the techsection to have that added to the writeup

better yet, if you have any pics of the change that you did then writeup another writeup using the old writeup and then your stuff that is changed.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I got everything to swing out of the way. You just have to be creative and use a bungie cord on

a nearby door, sink, case of beer... to get it somewhat out of the way.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same here, and I removed the radiator completely

I remember it well because the trans cooling lines are connected to it and I know that's not in the instructions. I did the same thing as you with the alternator/t-stat. Also, you have to mark the bottom gear because it doesn't have the same arrow in the block like previous models.

But, it's still a great DIY guide, I had no problem figuring the rest out for my model year. Saved me a ton of money.