A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Chip Help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-1999, 12:09 PM
NP

Default Chip Help please

Hi Guys - I have read all the archives and am still confused as to what chip I should get. I want something that I have the least downtime and a good performance gain. I wnat the safest chip that wont void my warranty. Please advise.

Thanks
Old 12-16-1999, 12:57 PM
Monkeyboy

Default Read more chippen...

You need to read a bit more on the archives. As a guideline:
Each tuner develops their chip differently...some go for better low end torque, some high end, some consistent throughout, etc. Read about each so you can decide which chip best fits your criteria. Stick with a chip tuner who has been around for awhile, every month or so, a different chip pops up as 'the best' - so you'll need to sift thru that.
All performance gains will be close - you'll get about 40 hp increase.
Downtime is usually as long as it takes you to swap out the chip.
Warranty issue...legally, the chip swap will not void your entire warranty. If the tuned chip is found to be the cause of any future problem - then you're SOL. But who wants to get in the middle of a legal issue?
Solution is to get a spare ECU (xtra $$) and put the stock chip in whenever you bring the car in to the dealer. Some leave the tuned chip in all the time, some swap every time - it's up to you.
Reliability of chips are fine..check out Don P.s chip survey to get real feedback data:<ul><li><a href="http://donp.tzo.com/">Don P.s Chip Survey Data</a></li></ul>