A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Damn...I've got a boost leak...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Damn...I've got a boost leak...

Ok, I've checked the archives and gathered some info on troubleshooting this. I plan on checking the hoses near the BPV tomorrow but I thought I'd describe my situation since I didn't see the same exact scenario in the searches.

My boost gauge is only showing a max boost of 5psi on every gear. I tried adapting the ECU again and that didn't do anything.

What I observed was that a once or twice I would see the boost spike to 7 or 10psi. I think I was able to do that when I accelerated slowly and not just punch the throttle.

Has anyone that had a leak consistently max out at 5psi??? My car doesn't feel sluggish. It just feels a little stronger than stock mode.

Is this generally a hose issue? Also, what symptoms does a bad wastegate exhibit? Thanks for any insight.

-Alex
Old 10-24-2002, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hoses near the bpv? what about the bpv itself?

when i had my boost leak, it wasnt a boost leak at all, just a bad valve. i was running about 7psi (spiked about 10-12) on a regular basis.
but you say your car doesnt feel sluggish? mine felt horrible because i wasnt getting near as much boost/power as i should be. if your car feels the same, perhaps its a problem w/ your boost gauge?
Old 10-24-2002, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I'm running a PES (TurboXS BPV) so I can't imagine a tear....

since there's no rubber diaphragm. It may be the BPV so I'll swap that after the hose inspection. I know the "kick" feeling from the GIAC chip that I'm not getting. Instead it feels like a smooth stock chip. I know I don't have the power because when a few of us were driving back home from a meet and we did a highway merge, I didn't have the punch in the 3rd gear that I normally get. It was scary when merging and realizing you don't have the power you thought you had...especially when an 18 wheeler is closing in on you. :-(

I will double check the gauge too but I'm pretty sure it's somewhere else. It was 45 degrees outside so my car was feeling peppy, even at 5psi max.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:20 PM

woops. double post.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:21 PM

Default well i always say there is no such thing as a foolproof bpv.

i think they all have a tendancy to break, so why not start there. its really the easiest part to start with. thats the main reason i cant see myself spending $150 on a bpv right now. i'd just assume pay $35 for my TT valve. gone through 2 in 27k chipped, and i dont have a problem with swapping them out every once in a while.
just my $.02
Old 10-24-2002, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Thanks...I agree, I'll start there. Damn this sucks.

Whatever the leak is...it sure is consistent and smooth. It feels like my car went into stock mode although my chip has no such fallback feature.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:42 PM
Elder Member

Default Sounds like you are running in limp mode or

you have a bad wastegate actuator. The lowest boost level you can run is 5psi if you put the hose that comes off the turbo housing straight to the actuator. So if you pull the hose you will get more boost. So I would say you might have problems with the wastegate being stuck open all the way or your N75 is holding too much pressure in the line to the wastegate.

But check all your hoses and if you cant find a problem look at these.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A bad n75 leads to being stuck at 5, hes hitting 10, sounds like a boost leak to me
Old 10-24-2002, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would bet vacuum line leak...

or air hose... could have a bad BPV too...

I just had the same issues last week or so, I would hit it hard and have no boost, if I rolled onto it slowly, I could hold a bit more, but never full... turned out to be a vacuum leak... not sure where, dealer did it...

can you HEAR the air escaping? I could...
Old 10-24-2002, 11:05 PM
Elder Member

Default Read it again, he says

"My boost gauge is only showing a max boost of 5psi on every gear. I tried adapting the ECU again and that didn't do anything.

What I observed was that a once or twice I would see the boost spike to 7 or 10psi. I think I was able to do that when I accelerated slowly and not just punch the throttle."

For all we know he could be running in stock chip mode or in a limp mode caused by a hard DTC which will not reset when unplugging the ecu but will only be cleared with a VAG tool.

Quick Reply: Damn...I've got a boost leak...