A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Dealer Horror Story (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-1999, 04:55 PM
Carl M

Default Dealer Horror Story (long)

I ordered a 99.5 a4 1.8 TMQS and Sun Roof from a New York (Long Island) dealer in October (6 months ago) for $1000 above invoice which was how much he asked. I accepted this price without further negotiation and gave him $1000 deposit. He called me a week ago to tell me that the car had arrived. I went to the dealership and the car came with a winter package which I did not ordered or want. He never ordered my specific car and wants me to buy this one from his allocation. The reason I gave him the deposit was for him to order the car I want, otherwise I could walk into any dealership now without having laid out the deposit!<br>He also wants almost $1000 more than the price we contracted for.<br>I was willing to give him an extra $400 to cover his mistake/negligence and he did not accept my (generous) offer.<br>I called AoA and it seems that they do not care about it.<p>Please advise:<br>Is the contract binding?<br>Do I have any legal rights?<p>Thanks <p>By the way, I ordered this car after consulting a4.org almost daily for almost a year. Your info is priceless and AoA should be aware that these unprofessional business practices by Audi dealers tarnish the image of the whole organization <br>
Old 04-05-1999, 05:10 PM
Bob Petruska

Default Do you have a signed contract by the dealer and you?

If so, read the fine print on the back. Does it say that the contract is "not" binding? If it is binding then....<p>Write a firm/stern letter to you State's Attorney General. Copy the dealer, AoA and yor State's Better Business Bureau. Make sure all 4 groups are listed on the letter so they see who is getting a copy of this letter. AoA doesn't like this kind of publicity...
Old 04-05-1999, 05:28 PM
Carl M

Default Re: Do you have a signed contract by the dealer and you?

The contract even says that I do not have to pay any increase in price! Despite it I even offered $400 more.<p>The contract is signed by me and has the salesman name but is not signed by them. But they cashed my check right away which I think is proof of acceptance.<p>Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 04-05-1999, 05:35 PM
Thomas P

Which dealer in Long Island????
Old 04-05-1999, 05:38 PM
Carl M.

Default Re: Which dealer in Long Island????

Legend in Amityville
Old 04-05-1999, 06:08 PM
Brad Willis

You should have titled this, &quot;The Amityville Horror&quot;
Old 04-05-1999, 06:10 PM
Dave Riesz

Default Probably not worth fighting over

When I placed a deposit last year, I had to sign a contract that covered everyone's butts. Basically, it said that the agreement was subject to changes in specs, prices, mistakes in the order, etc. I could not be forced to pay extra for mistakes in the order, and the dealer could not be forced to give me the mistaken extras for free.<p>I imagine your agreement was roughly the same.<p>Dave Riesz<br>
Old 04-05-1999, 06:55 PM
MSM

Default Tell them you want your deposit back and are taking your money elsewhere. They have no leagal right to withhold ANY OF YOUR DEPOSIT and they know it....(more)

they will probally mail you a check. Give them two weeks<br>to do so then badger the hell out of them.
Old 04-06-1999, 04:46 AM
AL SHARPTON

BOYCOTT LEGEND AUDI......41 oil changes with no FILTER!!
Old 04-06-1999, 06:45 AM

Default AoA is lame. They just do not stand behind their customers . . .

I read way too many instances of dealer BS and I went through an experience similar to yours. AoA seems as if they could care less when contacted by unhappy consumers.<p>By all means, you are entitled to the return of your deposit. Do not take any BS from the dealer. Even if the car had conformed with the car you ordered, you would still be able to get your deposit back before taking delivery.

Quick Reply: Dealer Horror Story (long)