A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Dealer overfilled my 1.8T by .5 quarts. Says this is ok....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-1999, 04:22 AM
DavidP

Default Dealer overfilled my 1.8T by .5 quarts. Says this is ok....

I provided 4.5 quarts of Mobil 1 15W50. None was returned. The service manager later found .7 quarts left over on the tech's bench. The oil is now 0.75 inches over the FULL dip-stick mark. He says that "The car will burn off the excess oil in a month anyway."

What should I do? Does anything need to be done?

dp
Old 09-09-1999, 04:26 AM
Dum Arse

Default Re: Dealer overfilled my 1.8T by .5 quarts. Says this is ok....

God your stupid,

It will burn it off but produce tonnes of carbon that will carbon your head and valves up hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 09-09-1999, 04:29 AM
TonyO

Default Re: Dealer overfilled my 1.8T by .5 quarts. Says this is ok....

I aive my dealer 7 qts of Mobil 1 15w50, never get any returned. Not overfilled, so I assume they keep about .5 quart. I guess every few times some tech gets a free oil change. I believe the service bulletin states that 6.5 qts go into the 2.8?
Old 09-09-1999, 04:33 AM
Rodney

Default Make them take some out

Insist that they remove the excess. There are all sorts of problems which could be caused by the excass oil. Yes, it would probably be fine, BUT, I wouldn't settle for probably. They should be able to suck the extra out through the oil fill hole in the top of the engine. They use a suction device, can't remember what it's called. ALWAYS check all fluid levels before leaving the dealer after a service.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 09-09-1999, 04:34 AM
Jim De Arras

Default If over the full mark, make 'em fix it, or put it in writing that AOA approves.

If it were my mistake, I'd let it go, but the dealer should do it right. If you let them slip on small things, they will slip on bigger things, too!

I'm a real pain in the *** at the local dealer, I make them replace lost hardware, put covers back on right, dress hose and cables in the proper clamps, etc.

They are learning, slowly, to treat my car right!
Old 09-09-1999, 04:36 AM
Jim De Arras

And check all levels again in a couple of days!
Old 09-09-1999, 04:42 AM
Alan Titchmarsch

Totally Agree, you pay for a Professional Service, You should get a Professional Service.
Old 09-09-1999, 04:58 AM
Steve W (in MD)

Default Overfilling oil... TSB ...Andy Hedin?

There is a TSB (I cannot remember which one) that indicates very clearly there are undesirable consequences of an oil overfill with the 1.8T engine. My recollection is that the TSB indicates the volume is 3.7 quarts, and not (much) more. The TSB describes a situation where an oil overfill will prevent the engine from starting. I have read posts in the past that link excessive oil volume with the check engine light. There is also something in past posts about oil overfills leading to catalytic converter damage.
Old 09-09-1999, 05:02 AM
Robert Jordan

Default Been there, twice, here is how you can correct the problem...

The first time my 1.8 was overfilled, I went to the local co-op and purchased a huge (4 oz) syringe and then made a stop by the auto parts store for 3-ft of some clear thin tubing. Insert tubing in dipstick tube, attach syringe and remove excess oil. (you will have to remove the syrings when it is full and empty the syringe several times)

The second time, I bought a soft-soap dispenser and attached the pump intake to the tubing and pumped untill I had removed .75 qrt. This was a lot easier and was spill-free.

Either way, I would remove the excess at once and dispose of the oil (I worry about residual stuff in the tubing, pump etc.)

Good Luck!

Robert
Old 09-09-1999, 05:07 AM
DavidP

Great idea!!

Quick Reply: Dealer overfilled my 1.8T by .5 quarts. Says this is ok....