A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Did anybody try to change the factory radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-1998, 01:45 PM
Adrian Grajdeanu

Default Did anybody try to change the factory radio?

I just loved my old in dash CD player in my previous car. First it's a CD, not casette, then it's a Sony sound. The dealer tried to fool me to get the changer (no offence to those that like it), but I hate to pull over, get off the car just to change the CD.<br>So, I am trying to replace the tape player, but I am told that if I remove the the factory equipment I'll loose ABS. Is it true that the ABS chip is in the radio??
Old 12-11-1998, 02:12 PM
Cameron

Default Your dealer lied to you, as dealers have a habit of doing...

The ABS system in the A4 is in a seven-module computer under the driver's side rear passenger seat. Lift up the bench seat and the computer is in a silver box, all seven modules are in one box. The third module (RTX49) can be swapped out in case of a crash. If any others are damaged, however, it seems you'd need to replace the whole ABS computer. The radio has absolutely nothing to do with the ABS system, and doesn't even share a fuse or electrical relay with any safety-related braking controls. You can take out the stereo head unit and replace it with whatever you like, many people on the board have done so.<p>Cameron<br>
Old 12-11-1998, 02:20 PM
Adrian Grajdeanu

Default Re: Your dealer lied to you, as dealers have a habit of doing...

Thanx a bunch. You kind of gave me hope. I worry about one more thing though: depth. I heard that the console is rather shallow. Will a regular sized piece fit?
Old 12-11-1998, 02:24 PM
JIM H.

You're joking, right?And did he tell you that if you drive too fast w/sunroof open,the car will implode?nt
Old 12-11-1998, 02:25 PM
Cameron

Default More stereo stuff

A good stereo place will tell you how much (if any) a unit will protrude from the dash. Note that the stock head unit is not a particularly common shape, and your choices (if you'd like the install to appear factory) are really limited to the few units used by people on this board and a couple others. I wouldn't be surprised if the total number of units that look factory in the A4 number less than a dozen and if the number that match the factory dash lighting color brings you down to two or three.<p>Cameron<br>
Old 12-11-1998, 02:28 PM
Adrian Grajdeanu

Default Re: You're joking, right?And did he tell you that if you drive too fast w/sunroof open,the car will implode?nt

Well, I did ask the dealer the question, but he was as helpful as a lazy cat. No, the weird answer I got from a custom audio wiring shop. They asked for $500 just to replace the piece. And I almost believed
Old 12-11-1998, 02:35 PM
SandyK

Default Are you sure he said ABS and not RDS?

I console is somewhat deep. Are you sure he said ABS (that's absurd statement)? <p>The radio is easily removed with the nail file of a small Swiss army knife. Just insert nail file at an angle (toward the left) into the left slot and slide file over towards the middle. Pull the left side gently (I usually stick my fingers into the cassette slot) until the left side is out about 1/8". Remove the nail file and insert it into the right side at an angle (towards the right) and slide file towrds the middle. You should be able to remove radio. Be careful not to damage the bottom edge of that console opening.<p>You should buy the harness meant for a VW car for power/speaker connector.<p>Good Luck
Old 12-11-1998, 02:49 PM
Adrian Grajdeanu

Default Re: Are you sure he said ABS and not RDS?

The cheater also said someting about the speakers. Said that they are 'active' somehow, and therefore won't fit a regular player that outputs amplified signal. Have any ideea what was he babling?
Old 12-11-1998, 03:07 PM
SandyK

Default active speakers means...

The rear speakers have a builtin amplifier. You either have to use this amplifier or go around it (use the one built into the receiver or buy a new amp). If you try to use their amplifier, you have to make sure the input levels are correct. If they aren't, you have to get a device that'll convert it for you (usually not the cleanest sound but it's in the rear). The surest way is to run some speaker cables to the rear and bypass the rear amp ($20 of cheap speaker cables would do) and connect directly to the speakers. If you want install your own amp then that's a whole new ballgame.<p>Except for the speakers, the dash installation would be $20 for wiring harness, $20-50 for trim plate/spacer, $20 for antenna adapter and an hour of labor (if you can crimp or solder, you can save $).<p>Good Luck
Old 12-11-1998, 03:29 PM
stanj

Default My story on this topic...

Sure nothing to do with ABS, as was established before.<p>I brought my A4 to the local radio place to install my Sony MiniDisc unit w/ changer. Five hours later I picked the thing up. There were a few problems:<p>1) The rear speakers are amplified. My shop left everything alone and pulled new cables to the speakers as not to mess with the original wiring. That cost additional time.<p>2) The Audi radio dims "smoothly", pretty much anything else on the market dims "bright/dark" or not at all. Normal cars send a "0 or +12v" to the radio, the Audi sends 3-12v depending on the desired brightness (as adjusting the cluster brightness and ambient light sensor). The problem was that in case of my Sony, the damn thing didn't really know how to decide: so it was flashing on/off. I insisted that this be done properly with auto-dim, so the poor guy took the dash apart (again) and found the wire that goes to the parking lights, spliced into that, and now I have a Sony in-dash that dims automatically. So, a total of five hours and $150 later, I had everything cleanly installed. I am a very happy camper now.<p>3) DIN size spacers, but this very topic was discussed at length on this very bboard.<p>Another thing that you will lose is speed-sensitive volume control. I simply loved this, for the one day that I had the stock radio... Then there are other things which the stock radio has, and which your radio may or may not have, such as RDS and whatnot, but these are lesser features. <p>Also, if you want to go with a cell phone kit, you may be better off with the stock radio because it's all pre-wired. I have a 6160 handsfree kit installed and it was a fun job to get it all wired without using the stock stuff...<p>The free depth in the console is DEEP, whatever monster you want to install, it will fit, never saw anything that big.<p>Hope this helps,<br>- Stan<br>

Quick Reply: Did anybody try to change the factory radio?