A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Did I put my K&N Filter in correctly....please read

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-1999, 11:01 AM
James R.

Default Did I put my K&N Filter in correctly....please read

Just got my APR chip yesterday...came home and was so excited to put it in that I forgot to observe the orientation of the RamAir that was in there before I had pulled it out.

I looked at the FAQ and saw a picture which showed that the part of that filter that is furthest from the rubber seal should point down towards the ground...i.e. the part of the filter that portrudes from the seal (molded into filter) about an inch or so...should be facing into the deepest part of the airbox....is this correct.

As for the APR ECU, well I'm upgrading from a Neuspeed 0.8 Bar ECU. My first observation is that the car pings even tho it was like 70F outside, which seems cool enough to me. So yes I'm disappointed but I kinda expected it as I had problems with the Neu chip too...had the timing backed off a bit, which seemed to help alot.

Anyhow the good things I can say about the APR is the torque delivery feels much smoother than the Neu...and obviously the car is quite a bit faster. You can really tell on the highway when doing runs from 80MPH up to whatever you like. Before with the Neu chip it seemed to take forever to go from say 80 to 110...but last night (very desolate highway) made it from 80 to 120 in what seemed like only a handfull of seconds...the Neu was waaaay slower at this test in particular.

Also the throttle response seems slightly better...RPM's seem to fall off faster, could be my imagination who knows.

Regards,

James R.

99 1.8TMS (Brembo Rotors, Mintex Red Box, Bilstein Shocks, Neuspeed Sport Springs and Front Anti Sway Bar, APR 1.0 Bar ECU, K&N Filter, Remus Exhaust, Ronal R-28's 17" x 8.5", Euro Corners + Markers...tint all the way around and probably some other stuff I've missed.)