A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Disconnecting batt should clear my SAIP cel correct? Tried, no dice, how long does it need to be off

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disconnecting batt should clear my SAIP cel correct? Tried, no dice, how long does it need to be off

?! I thought it was like a minute, which I tried.

Am I doing it wrong?!

Got SAI leak fixed, yeah, the hose going from pump to engine (pancake valve I think) was completely severed. Replaced entire hose as the original plastic one crumbled/cracked in my hand while trying to reattach it.

The CEL was for SAIP incorrect flow detected (had no flow, but now should).
Old 02-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

There are better ways. No access to even a generic scanner?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TJ: you had an issue that i'm having now.... the pad sensor warning is on

but everything is properly spliced. It just suddenly came on.

Did you ever figure that out?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have shareware VAG com, which is how I pulled the code. Can't clear it. "Better" ways, but my way

works correct?! (ha, well apparently not or I wouldn't be asking this Q now..)

I have long tried to figure out if me not being able to do certain things was a limitation of my shareware version or not.. Resetting CEL seems to be limitation (can check codes and use ross-tech guide, just not clear). No complaints about the shareware version, just stating what I can do with it.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 AM

Default You need to leave it off for closer to 30 minutes.

I used to do it all the time for my EGR cel.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nope. Checked/respliced 5+ times. I think mine is corrosion in wire (from spliced end) Mine was

improperly spliced together in the first place, well right idea, but water was able to get in.

I've trimmed off as much as I can up to where the pad sensor joins the abs sensor, not beyond there, which is next on my list. I'd like to find the pad sensor wire further up (in the engine bay) where there is zero chance of moisture/corrosion and splice it there.

Does it look like any water got up in there?? Mine look really bad, I'll try to snap a few pictures next time I take a look at it.

Sorry this isn't much help. Weird thing about mine too, is that it was off when I bought it (winter), came on and stayed on for 8 months (spring summer fall), off 3 months (winter), on 9, then off for a few weeks right at the beginning of this winter, on for last 2 or so. So cold/warm had a bearing for 2 years there, now its just on.

Please let me know if you figure out a higher up place to clip it or of any other suggestions.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Really, wow, I was hoping I mistook 1 for 2 or something. Oh well, I'll try that later, thanks.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if you follow the wire, it hooks up into a grommet inside your fender well. It connects right there

The thing with mine is it stayed off for soooooo long. Then suddenly re-appeared.

One night I was clipping along at a good rate of speed and it went off (and stayed off) for a few days. Now it's back.

I don't think it's the wire from the sensor to the connector in your fender well. You're right it has to be higher up...

but trying to isolate driver versus passenger side = a bish

i guess I could just vag

sigh
Old 02-10-2009, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

or unplug your ecu :P
Old 02-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default I don't see any problem that $99 can't solve. Why not just buy a license?

By disconnecting the battery you are resetting every control unit in the car.

Quick Reply: Disconnecting batt should clear my SAIP cel correct? Tried, no dice, how long does it need to be off