A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Do our cars have anti-roll? Weird thing happening in first gear... Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 08:08 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a "bearing" noise from my center dif. that I can only hear in first gear. Loud at times
Old 08-15-2001, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do our cars have anti-roll? Weird thing happening in first gear... Please help.

I gently accelerate in first, to about 2mph, about as fast as one walks, then leave it in first and put in the clutch. While the car is rolling and slowing down, it feels as iff something is clunking in the drive train. There is no sound, just feels like there is some "barrier" car has to over come to keep rolling. The "barrier" appears about once per tire rotation and is only noticable on really slow speeds. This does not happen in second gear, only in first.

Here is the real weird thing, standing on a very,very(can't stress that enough),very slight incline, the car, just as any other car starts to roll backward, but when I put it into first, it starts to slowdown and stops, all while the clutch is pressed in. As soon as take it out of first, the car starts to roll again.

Can someone please explain this to me?
Thanks.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:10 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Sounds like you may have a very badly warped brake rotor.

that, or something is bent. But I suspect that you would really feel a bent driveshaft or wheel.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:11 AM
Elder Member

You'd feel a warped rotor when you use the brakes. Steering wheel shake and a judder in the pedal.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:13 AM
Head Cat Herder

True. Actually, you would feel anything that would cause what he described.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:23 AM

Default The first symptom is normal...

it is the way the pressure plate carries the load of the car over to the center differential. The connecting shaft to the whole mechanism is designed to twist very slightly to hold a certain amount of energy on launching to slow the transfer when the transmission is engaged, basically done for comfort. The lurching that you feel is the rod winding and unwinding, keep in mind that this is a very slight twist. You SHOULD NOT keep doing this though as it WILL put unneccesary stress on the pressure plate and clutch disc. Everytime the car lurches forward during this manuever, the puressure plate takes more material off the disk, especially after a drive.

The second symptom however is not normal, when the tramission is in gear and the clutch pedal depressed, the car should be in a neutral and able to move. This indicates that either, you pedal needs adjustment, or the pressure plate isnt backing off of the clutch when the pedal is depressed. Check your fluids before taking it in.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If that was the case, why would I only notice it while in 1st. There is no sign of this in 2nd or

in neutral.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Car drives like a dream. The only other thing that I notice is that when it is warm, I sometimes

have problems with getting the car into first gear. Even with doubleclutching and the second to first jerks. It eventually slips in, but I noticed that whenever this happens if I shut off the engine, it goes right in.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:34 AM
Head Cat Herder

Weird.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wow, thats a LOT of help. Thanks. As I posted below, I have trouble getting it into first gear.

when it is hot...

I was thinking about the pressure plate, so that could be what is causing the car not roll. It feals as if the clutch is not disengaging properly. Is there some adjustment that I can do, or do I need to replace the pressure plate?

I hope its not to much $$$

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Do our cars have anti-roll? Weird thing happening in first gear... Please help.