A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Do those "I support State Troopers" sticker really work?

Old 04-19-1999, 07:45 PM
Joe

Default Do those "I support State Troopers" sticker really work?

Here in Connecticut I've noticed more and more people placing bumper stickers on their cars that say "Support Connecticut State Troopers". And a lot of these people are driving fast sport cars in mint condition. They don't seem like the kind of people who would normally place bumper stickers on their cars. (ie: new A6). And I don't think that they're so proud they've donated money to the Troopers that they are dying to show their support.<p>My only conclusion is that these people with the stickers are hoping troopers will be generous with them next time they're pulled over for speeding. Is it that obvious? And if I'm correct, does it really work? Should I get one? I'm thinking that if I were a Trooper and pulled someone over with that sticker, I'd probably DOUBLE the fine because it's so obvious they're trying to suck up to Troopers. Am I the only one who feels this way, or maybe I should join the crowd and get a sticker?
Old 04-19-1999, 07:51 PM
Cameron

Default It's a sleazebag tactic or these people are mobsters...

Really. There are plenty of people with stickers with the hope of getting "help" from the officers pulling them over. If you ask me, it's silly. If the cop wants to give you a ticket, you're getting a ticket. As soon as his pen hits the book, he has to write the ticket -- that's the law, it isn't like you writing "void" in the register of your checkbook.<p>Get a V1 and you won't get laughed at for having a bumper sticker. I've given up on trying to outthing police officers. I've been pulled over three times since I got the roll cage and the hood... twice the cop just wanted to take a closer look at the car, see if I seemed suspicious, see if it seemed like the car was stolen, etc. Once the cop saw me strapped into the harness (I was wearing a black tee shirt and the red harness straps showed up real well) and wanted to ask me about the car and pretty much grilled me on whether or not it was street legal.<p>Most cops leave the cruiser with an idea of what will be said, your bumper sticker won't change that.<p>Cameron
Old 04-19-1999, 08:42 PM
Brad Willis

Default Re: Do those "I support State Troopers" sticker really work?

As a former Police Officer, I can tell you that it wouldn't have worked with me. If I sensed that someone was trying to patronize me to avoid a ticket, I would have nailed them to the cross. I used to get really irritated at bimbos who would flirt and flaunt their sexuality in order to try to get out of a ticket. I'd write them everytime, even sometimes when I was initially considering writing a warning. Hey, most of us guys do like attractive women, but I found it insulting. The person most likely to get a break was someone who was forthright and didn't try to bu**sh** me.
Old 04-20-1999, 04:35 AM
Thomas P

As a Police Officer I can say one word. Not no, but HELL NO. Things like that we dont even see. It is more humerous than anything else. Maybe if you have a PBA card or something like that from a family member that is a cop, but bullsh*t sticker and stuff, just a waste of time. Most cops already know if they are going to give you the ticket before they even come to your window. And most of the time if they arent, they wont even waste the time pulling you over!<p>Thomas P<br>98.5 Silver 1.8TQMS
Old 04-20-1999, 04:55 AM
JB

I'm a town police officer in CT and I agree with Thomas P. For us local guys a State Police Sticker works as well as the "Bad Cop No Donut" sticker. I have many friends who are also CT State troopers and I know based on our conversations no bumper sticker will help you. Your attitude could determine your fate. Good Luck.<p><br>
Old 04-20-1999, 08:27 AM
ChrisW

Right on the money
Old 04-20-1999, 08:28 AM
ChrisW

another good point!
Old 04-20-1999, 08:31 AM
ChrisW

Ditto
Old 04-20-1999, 08:38 AM
ChrisW

Default Here in TX, there's the same group, "I support Texas State Troopers Assoc."...

they are not endorsed by Texas Troopers and have no affiliation. They call and say, please send money to help pay for families of slain Troopers for their kids education etc. The local newspaper keeps stating NOT to give this group money, but yet people keep doing it. Presently the TX legislature from what I understand, has a bill being pushed by DPS to stop this BS. People get a sticker they put on their car after sending in an untold amount of $ and thats it. Not only does the sticker not help you, (read posts below), but you're also being suckered by these con artists. Every time I stop a car with a "I support TSTA" sticker on it, all I think is, 'poor/dumb sucker'.
Old 04-20-1999, 09:55 AM
ChrisWB

JB - can you say which town? If not, what county?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do those "I support State Troopers" sticker really work?