A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

DOA Audi for $500... Loosing my mind.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOA Audi for $500... Loosing my mind.

I purchased a 2000 audi a4 quattro 5spd for $500 thinking I could fix her up and be golden... Oh how wrong i was. this car has been nothing but a headache. Ive never posted on a forum before now but now im getting desperate.

The car originally had an atw 1.8t but the previous owner had swapped in a awm motor, harness, and ecu. I was not aware of this at the time of purchase due to the amount of grime and oil covering the stamp. The previous owner stated the car died on him driving down the road and would not start back up again. I figured it would be a bad crank sensor or something along that idea. I got the car towed home and started tearing into it and that is when the **** storm started brewing. I noticed the swap among other things but figured it wasnt a big deal. i had a new fuel pump and fuel filter lying around from my 98 a4, so i threw it in there along with removing the dead battery and replacing it with a brand new one and to my surprise it fired up and idled for about 30 min before i decided to take it around the block. i took it slow and easy as to test the waters and everything seemed okay until i made it to a stop sign where it proceeded to stall out on me. It would not start back up again and needed to be towed again. (Probably a bad idea to drive more than 3 blocks away) I just spent the last couple weeks tearing the car apart because I found mouse poop in the glove box and i figured they had chewed some wires and i was getting an intermittent fault. I found absolutely no signs of damage from those bastards but it was worth the trouble to clean the nest under the carpet out and scrub the chassis clean from all their excrement. My next move was to check the wiring harness for issues. I found a couple of shoddy repairs so I redid them properly and put everything back together. I primed the fuel system a couple of times and tried to fire it up. It cranked a few times (5-6) and fired up and idled. i turned the car off after a minute or so because i had no coolant in it. After i filled it up with water, i went back to start it and all it would do is crank and crank. It sounded like it wanted to start but would never fire. I pulled the codes and i got 4: 18058-powertrain data bus missing message from instrument cluster, 16725- camshaft position sensor implausible signal, 17072- intermittent ecm relay load circuit (J271) open, and 18010- intermittent power supply terminal 30 voltage too low. I have replaced the cam sensor and checked the wiring and it ohm-ed out okay. I replaced my coilpacks with known good ones. checked all fuses and relays. everyting seems to be fine. The EPC light is on and the radio will not turn on. not sure if thats related but might as well mention it. Im running out of ideas. If you managed to make it this far in my post, is there anything you could tell me that may help. i start school in 2 weeks and need to get this bad boy rolling. Anything will help. thank you