A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Door open ; headlights on chime not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door open ; headlights on chime not working

Hi, all. I was hoping some of the experts here may be able to help me with this issue. It started several years ago when I had the a/c evaporator and heater core replaced by an independent Euro shop on the A4 in my sig. Members of this forum know how difficult it is to remove the dash for this kind of work. When I got the car back, there were a number things that were not right and indicated a lack of workmanship on the part of the technician. The owner had another tech correct the HVAC issues and reinstall the dash to fit like it did before they removed it; but we noticed that the warning chime for the door open and headlights on was not functional. So back the car went. The shop owner told us that there was a relay that must have blown, and that he looked" all over" for a replacement and couldn't find one anywhere. He said that my car is an early production one, and later relays won't fit.
Does this sound Kosher to you folks here? I checked all the fuses, looked for any obviously disconnected wiring, and did
not see anything obvious under the dash. I figured that someone forgot to connect a couple of wires and the owner didn't want to take off that @#%* dash one more time and this was a smoke screen.
Fast forward to recently, after 2 episodes of the lights left on and draining the battery, I thought maybe someone else here may have had a similar issue and can guide me.
I have the Bently manual for this car, and have searched the wiring diagrams and the forum here. One thing I can see that may be the trouble is marked H3 Warning Buzzer in the instrument cluster combination cluster. Would this be located in the instrument cluster? Or perhaps down with the relays under the dash. Does anyone know?
What about the J59 load reduction relay? I know it controls a lot of different things; and I understand there was an updated version produced. I am doubtful of this option; everything else works fine and has for the last 4 years.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:03 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Chime is built into the cluster. Did anyone test the door latch switch? Dome light functioning normally?
Old 03-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Chime is built into the cluster. Did anyone test the door latch switch? Dome light functioning normally?
Thanks,4driver4. I was afraid that it was in the cluster. The dome light works as it should from all doors. I'm not about to replace the cluster. Eldest son has now moved up from the old Volvo; which turned the lights off with the ignition. Hopefully he has learned to check them before exiting the car.