A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Electrical Question regarding Fog Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2001, 05:47 PM
BsR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Question regarding Fog Mod

I've had the fog-mod done on my car and now I have problems with the fogs not turning on at all, or when they do turn on they shut off on their own after a random duration.

We kind of cheated when doing the mod and instead of running a wire between the two contacts just dropped solder across them instead, which has worked fine in other people's cars.

So I have two questions:
1) Will the headlights operate if the fog relay box is completely removed (I don't want to buy a relay unless mine is busted, but I drive a lot at night so before I take it out to work on it....)

2) Should desoldering the two contact points and dropping in a wire fix the problem?

Thanks in advance...

-Brian
Old 03-02-2001, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The headlights do work without the relay.

As for the fogs being finnicky, it's just your soldering job. A couple weeks after I did mine they started cutting out now and then. So I just popped out the relay and redid the solder job with wires. That should fix your problem.
Old 03-02-2001, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default yes, your headlights will operate as normal without the relay. As far as a fix goes...

when you open it up, make sure the connections are all still in place (did a solder come undone?).

check to verify that you cut and filed the pins off as much as required to not make contact.

Yeah, replace that solder joint with a wire.

Check that you made all the correct connections.

Check to make sure that nothing is shorting when you put on the cover.

Make sure your wire is thick enough. I judged this by the thickness of the existing traces (in the PC board) that the given signal used.

Check the pics on my site as needed:
click my sig below, then -> Foglight Mod