A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Engine Check light AGAIN! & AGAIN! & AGAIN!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-1999, 06:30 PM
The one who had enough!

Default Engine Check light AGAIN! & AGAIN! & AGAIN!!

<br>What t'hell is going on with this light? It's the 3rd time in a month it has come on, and the last 2 times the dealer tells me that it is probably the gas cap. That's a total pile of BS!! I am sick and tired of having to drive to the dealer, wait an hour for them to basically reset the ligth and give me the BS line about the gas cap.... <p>The light has come on today, at half tank, so it can't be the gas cap, and I am not going to bring it in. I am going to drive the car with the light on, and if the engine dies, so be it, I'll fix it and sell the f$%^n car...<p><br>Arie.<br>
Old 02-06-1999, 09:22 PM
Roger B

Default Have you tried replacing the gas cap?

I seem to recall one person on this forum posting the same problem you have. That person finally just got an all new gas cap and the problem went away. I think the gas cap is one part that isn't outrageously expensive to replace so you might as well give it a shot before giving up on the car.<p>Good Luck - Rog<p>'99 Silver 2.8QMS
Old 02-07-1999, 10:52 AM
AE

Default You might try...

a different gas station with premium gas. Even add a quality dry gas next time you are near empty. We had the same problem. Our dealer mentioned the "misfires" are triggering a counter, and that is what caused our problem. We have not had it happen since.<br>A gas cap? probably not.<p>Good luck.