A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Experience with k-mack camber kit and replacement control arms from ESC.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Experience with k-mack camber kit and replacement control arms from ESC.

I purchased the K-Mac camber correction kit from Shox.com and the ECS replacement control arms. I bought and installed the 8 piece front control arm kit before I got the K-macs. (I bought the K-mac kit because of problems with the inside edge wearing out too quickly in the front - too much negative camber.)

The K-Mac kit is basically replacement bushings for your upper control arms which add about 3deg of adjustability for camber. Before I installed the K-Mac kit, I tested the replacement bushings on the old control arms (OEM) that I pulled off. The kit seemed like it would work out just fine. You needed a press or bench vice to press the old bushing out and the new bushing in. Once I was comfortable with the proceedure, I planned on taking a Saturday to do it.

Everything was going pretty good with getting the bushings out but I ran into a problem once the bushing was removed. On the ECS control arms the bushings are slightly larger than the OEM control arm bushings. So the replacement bushings were too small to press into the arms I got from ESC.

***So basically, If you want to use the K-Mac camber correction kit, make sure that you have OEM control arms or it won't work right.*** On some items ECS will ask you if you want OEM or other brand of parts. I don't remember if I had that choice when purchasing but who would have known this would happen?

So to fix this I need to go to a machine shop and get custom shims made so the bushings could be pressed into the new arms. I havne't gotten this done yet because I improvised with a temporary fix. I don't suggest doing that so I wont mention it.

I've actually had the kit in for about 3 months now with new tires and it's been great. When I did my 2500 mile rotation, the tires were wearing evenly and no sign of excessive inside wear. But now my bushings are starting to squeak because the temp fix is failing. So next week I'll take the arms off and finally get the shims pressed in at the local machine shop in my neighborhood.

I just wanted to share this experience. There have not been many posts about the K-Mac camber kit. Good kit for those who want to enhance appearance without sacrificing the life of their tires. It's also a good alternative to getting the adjustable control arms which are more than double the price.