A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-1999, 04:51 AM
Bonnie

Default Extended Warranty

I search the internet and called AAA about the cost of an extended warranty on a new Audi A4. I was really surprised to learn that Audi is the most expensive car to purchase a warranty for. Everyone I spoke to about it said that it is because of the frequency of the repairs, and the cost of repairs, even compared to Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes, and everything else in it's category, including Saab, which is notoriously expensive to fix, and is prone to breakdowns.

The difference in cost was about $700-$800 for the 7 year/100,000 mile warranty between and Audi and almost every other car. In the case of AAA, they offer a BTB warranty, exactly like the original Audi warranty, without the maintenance, with a $50 deductible that is totally transferrable if you should sell the car. They wanted to charge $3054 for a 7 year/100,000 warranty, when a BMW 328 is around the $1,500 range for the same coverage.

How do you explain this? These are both German cars, both high in cost for repairs, and both probably as reliable as the other. Are all of these warranty companies in essence saying that Audi is more prone to break down than any other car on this planet? That is the way it was presented to me by all the companies I spoke to. That doesn't give Audi a very good reputation, and certainly if I purchase an Audi I would pay the additional money for a warranty, given the amount of problems I have seen posted here over the last six months, and what might happen after the warranty period.

It's like anything else in life, you have insurance on your house and car, just in case something happens that could be very expensive. It gives you piece of mind.

I have searched the archives and have found various different answer to this question, but none very definitive. Do any of you own comprehensive extended warranties that cover everything but general maintenance. How much did you pay?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 07-29-1999, 04:54 AM
Anony

Default Save your money, and just pay for any repairs if it happens after 3 years

nt
Old 07-29-1999, 05:18 AM
allan

Default Re: Extended Warranty=/bad reliability

this would confirm the increasing number of compliants and poor reliability ratings the A4 has been receiving.

While shopping for a new car yesterday I drove and priced a Passat and A4. Extended warranty on the Passat 7/100k was $940 from the dealer while the same for the A4 was over $2000. Even though both cars were priced within a $1000 of each other. Why such a huge discrepancy?

PAY for REPAIRS?!? My repair bill would total $5000+ and its not out of warranty yet!
Old 07-29-1999, 06:16 AM
tomt

Default I agree...

Since my factory warranty will expire shortly, I have to make a major decision about whether to keep the car - if I do keep it, I *absolutely, positively* will get an extended warranty based upon my own repair experience (including next week alone: peeling dash, another oil/PS fluid leak, amplifier replacement and (3rd) front seat repair) and those of others on this board. The A4 may be fun to drive, solidly made and durable, but it is NOT reliable. And it appears that the cost for the extended warranties is skyrocketing as more and more problems are being revealed.
Old 07-29-1999, 06:48 AM
DSmith

Default Geico has extended warranty if you insure with them:

$50/year for as long as you own the car. Best deal around by far.
Old 07-29-1999, 07:20 AM
HJohn

Default Warranty through dealer for $2000. (more)

When I picked up my A4 in March, the dealer told me about the warranty they were selling (7 yrs. or 100K from date of delivery, no maintenance). I have until one year from the delivery date to buy it, although he never said the price was guaranteed.

I have read on this forum of people getting this type of warranty for $1200 to $1300. They may have bought some time ago. An archive search will probably locate this info.

I was definitely leaning toward the purchase of the extended warranty. Based on this thread I may be frightened into signing up sooner rather than later, to avoid a huge increase in the premium.

I love the car and am prepared to pay more to operate it. I do want it to be as little more as possible.

John
99.5 1.8tqms (3.6k miles)
Old 07-29-1999, 07:57 AM
TM

Default Warranty Gold $1800 7/100,000 ...

This is where I'm getting it for my A4. Check out www.edmunds.com

Tommy
99.5 1.8TS-Tip
Old 07-29-1999, 08:36 AM
JMorrison

Default Apparently good stuff . . .

backed by Fire & Casualty of Conn. and Interstate Natl. Dealer Services of NY. Got quotes on 7 year/100K miles for A4 1.8Tq. Quoted $1845 for "Platinum" zero-deductible extensive coverage (turbo and digital instrument display covered). Quoted $2030 for "Diamond" zero-deductibe bumper-to-bumper equivalent of Audi factory warranty. Dealer quoted almost $4K for 7/100 bumper-to-bumper zero deductible.
Old 07-29-1999, 08:48 AM
DPC

Default CNA/Western National - $1800 7/100

They seem to be working out fine for my '96 (50+K). I've had to use it for a transmission problem (>$2500) and a frozen caliper (>$400), plus they cover rental cars. I expect to have to use the warranty more in the next couple years - it is an Audi; I will be surprised, and happy, if I don't get to take advantage of it. However, if I do sell/trade the car within the warranty period, I do get the prorated amount back (after they take some off the top, of course).
Old 07-29-1999, 09:00 AM
JMorrison

Default Correction---still apparently a good deal, but . . .

even their "diamond" level 7/100 doesn't cover wear and tear items (clutch, brakes, tune-up items, oil changes, hoses, belts, etc.) and apparently the factory $3800 7/100 warranty does. $3800 is just too much though, especially after just shelling out $30K for the A4.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty