A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

finally - the full electrical system problem explained with partial resolution (long)...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh yea thats true, although i left the invoice in the car and im too lazy to go outside!

i honestly think the guy really didn't know what he was talking about though, because i asked him some questions (for example the DBW thing) for the sole perpose of finding out if he knew what he was talking about, and he genuinly seemed to be confused on some of them.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:27 PM
Elder Member

Default I had the same happen on a 78 280Z

Dealer said it was the fuel pump - replaced it and I paid and went to start the car and it wouldn't.

It turned out that it was a relay. I told them I would pay for the labor but not for the fuel pump. (I considered the labor part of the diagnostics) In the end the only way I could get the car was to pay. I ended up contesting it on my m/c bill and won.

I would use the small claims court if I were you. If you do enough homework - you can be prepared for court and win.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:14 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Okay, before you jump the gun, and completely lose it, consider this...

1. The service manager deals with 20+ customers on an average day, and may not remember every detail of every service order, so if he's searching for words, it doesn't mean he's lying. Do give him the opportunity to look at his paperwork when there is time, and consult with the tech as needed for details.

2. The shouting match...not the best way to approach this, and probably a good way to get thrown out of the dealership without any help whatsoever.

3. For the parts that failed, they should check the fuses first, and eventually work their way up to the relay. Someone else posted this, and it's standard diagnostics for an electrical issue.

4. If the car doesn't throw a code, see number 3. A dealer claiming they don't know what to do without a code is really sad.

5. Do a search on "K line". There is some issue with aftermarket radios, and it has to do with the K line connection. I'm not sure what the issue is, but it would be a good idea to get some clarification around this issue. It's possible that the dealer saw this issue before, and they are assuming the same issue exists with your car. They may be right or wrong, I don't know, but do some homework here, and attempt to get to the bottom of this without getting into a shouting match.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well...

1.) he could have easily said to us "let me check with the tech" but never once implied that he wanted to, i gave him all the oppertunity to prove his case in the world and he was completely unwilling to

2.) the only real yelling was when in the middle of our conversation he said "i have other customers to take" and starting walking away from us and calling the guy behind us while we were still talking, and to top it off he was yelling right back.

3.) i agree with this and the service adviser kept telling us that they couldn't do normal procedure and had to "tear apart the car" looking for it. i still dont understand why it would take 5 hours to find a fried relay.

4.) yea it really is sad, and he made it seem like it was the end of the world that it wasn't throwing codes and that was his basis for not covering under warranty, he said i must have tampered with the wires to cause it to not throw codes because "that just doesn't happen otherwise"

all in all i dont really know what will happen i have to talk to the next guy up today and see what i can get done.