A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

First Mod Complete... SplitSec 1.8t BCS

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Mod Complete... SplitSec 1.8t BCS

This is my first completely owned car.

This is also my first mod ever.

I installed a SplitSecond 1.8t BCS. I know there has been some controversy in this forum about
this boost controller, but I understood the concept and got one.

Here are my impressions:

Out of box:
smaller than I imagined. straight forward instructions. all parts included.

Install:
never having done ANY mod on ANY car I was a bit nervous- but my B.S. in Computer Engineering from U-M seemed to work it's magic and I completed the install without any serious problems. I did, however, require an assistant to determine the color of the various wires because im color-blind. Also, I need to locate some cloth tape to retape the wiring harness (you have to cut off some of the tape to get to the wires). Oh, and while I was working (on the top floor of a parking structure) the instructions blew away in the wind and I needed to call splitSecond to jot down the wire colors.

Almost forgot- I put the box right near my right knee just in sight above the accelerator (you can see the LED's out of the bottom of your eye without looking down). Picture later...

1st start:
After double and tripple checks, I called splitSecond to verify everything and then started the car for the first time. Everything worked properly and no error codes showed on the car or the BCS unit. Gave it some gas in neutral and watched the pretty LED's zoom up the scale to 10psi (will verify this number tomorrow).

1st drive:
kept it on stock boost for a while. Then in second gear under constant acceleration I jacked it right up to FULL boost. Hissing increased, power increased, the gauge flew up to 14psi and i soon needed to shift. Then I drove around (not agressively) with it on FULL boost. It only kicks in at 3/4 throttle and if you keep it close to 3/4 throttle it can get a little jerky. I could always tell when it was functioning because the engine would make more hissing than normal and feel more powerful. I definitely turned a lot of heads with my hissing while crusing around ann arbor.

1st agressive drive:
Very noticiable difference below 5k. Above 5 i couldn't tell the difference- although it was more likely to jump to redline at a shift. Sweet spot was between 3-5k. I've never driven a chipped 1.8t so I can't really make a comparison.

Overall:
I was able to install it easily. It definitely increased power. It looks nice. It is very easy to remove and is cheap compaired to chipping. Would I buy it again? Sure! Will I buy a chip? Maybe.

Next mod:
Tuned exhaust. Then coilovers. Then ???? Any suggestions?<ul><li><a href="http://www.splitsec.com/products/1.8TBCS.htm">SS 1.8t BCS webpage</a></li></ul>
Old 05-14-2001, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thanks for the write up...........oh, and this is funny....

"Oh, and while I was working (on the top floor of a parking structure) the instructions blew away in the wind and I needed to call splitSecond to jot down the wire colors."

sounds about typical for any install. something completely unforeseen always happens.
Old 05-14-2001, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wow...you really went out and did it....

...couple questions...

How are you monitoring the boost levels? Did you tap a line in the manifold or FPR or is it taking numbers off the ECU?

What model year are you using the BCS on?
Old 05-14-2001, 04:07 PM
Elder Member

his sig says 2001.
Old 05-14-2001, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default DOH!

In that case, your car should be making around 10-11 psi, not 8. 10-11 psi is STOCK for a 2001 1.8T. I don't know...that doesn't sound right.
Old 05-14-2001, 04:11 PM

I might be wrong- I will check that tomorrow for you.
Old 05-14-2001, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Can you confirm by attaching a boost gauge straight from the manifold?

I have an extra boost gauge that I'd be happy to lend you to confirm this. I'm heading out for the day. email me if you are interested.
Old 05-14-2001, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Stock 2001 runs about 10 pounds of boost, not the 8 of the 150hp 1.8T
Old 05-14-2001, 04:17 PM

Ok, I'll change the text and check gauge tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2001, 04:28 PM

I called the manufacturer, boost is read from Manifold pressure sensor upstream of ECU.

Quick Reply: First Mod Complete... SplitSec 1.8t BCS