A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Fixed the front end rattle..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed the front end rattle..

Well, that took me a couple years to finally get off my *** and look into the rattle problem from the front pass. side wheel well. I was almost sure it was control arms because they are all original from 96. I checked all control arms, both sides, strangely they are all fine. I removed the pass. shock/spring. I went ahead and removed it the cool way..dropping just the spring and shock..not the control arms and mount also. Had to remove those damn plastic body plugs which was the biggest bitch of all. Anyway, it turned out to be a spring bind issue. I compressed the spring to release the bind and repositioned it correctly on the upper perch, as it had moved slightly from the best position. I retorqued the top nut on top of the upper shock mount for good measure. I put it all back together and drove her. She is driving perfect...rattle is gone. No control arm problems, no upper strut mount to replace..no money out. It was a good day. We will see how long this lasts. It is always something with the A4! Why am I telling you?-because my girlfriend is not impressed! =-/
J
Old 08-08-2005, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's funny... Glad to hear about your new found ambition. Couple of years?????
Old 08-08-2005, 08:26 PM

Default I have no excuse really for taking so long..

I am a sick person, but that is not an excuse. I have been sick for a number of years and have always worked on my A4. I did a suspension install on my A4 two weeks after getting home from having a bone marrow transplant! My parents think I'm crazy, yet my doctor thinks it is one of the reasons I have done so well with my sickness. I kept a positive attitude and never let it slow me down or keep me from doing my work on the car. Honestly, it took two years because I was so damn sure it was a multiple control arm issue that would cost me some money..and I didn't feel like doing that job and putting money out. Now, I find it is something easy and I am kicking myself for that one! oh well, teaches me to stay up on things.
J
Old 08-09-2005, 06:02 AM

Default I've got a wierd rattle in my drivers side wheel well...

It has persisted through a shock change, that was done at the dealer. Is there a way to visually inspect the spring seat to see if it isn't happy without dissasembling the whole show?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:36 AM

Default yes...it is best to take out the spring/shock...

you don't have to take it all apart completely once you get the spring/shock assembly out. I have H&R springs and they are known for rattle. The upper two coils rest on eachother and can cause some noise. That is basically what was going on. I compressed the spring as if I was taking everything apart and loosened the top nut a bit to shift things around a bit. Then, I tightened it back up and released the spring compressor. Also, you can jack up your car and spray some lubricant on the spring top to bottom. Then lower the vehicle and go test drive. Sometimes lubing the spring will get rid of that rattle. Aside from all that..it very well could be a blown upper shock mount on yours or a worn control arm. It all depends on how comfortable you are with working on your car. If you are not someone who does things on your own..your best bet is to lube it and see. Then if that doesn't help..take it to an independent mechanic and have the problem resolved. Ask in the forum for a good mechanic in your area so you get a place that knows exactly what they are doing.
J
Old 08-09-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Already did all control arms, noise got louder...

This sound has persisted through the replacement of the OEM Sport shocks with Bilstein sports. I suppose that I could have been chasing two sounds. Control arms that were making noise before and after the shock replacement and now, only a bound spring. I'll look into the lube idea. I've got a buddy with spring compressor and apprpriate tools. Thanks for the attention.