A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Followup to yesterday post from Sam K re: Why does the Bose system inthe Avant sound so much better than in the sedan ?... -

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-1999, 06:40 AM
pt

Default Followup to yesterday post from Sam K re: Why does the Bose system inthe Avant sound so much better than in the sedan ?... -

I have the bose in the sedan, and the bass is terrible. The subwoofers, which are mounted on the rear deck, create a really big booming bass sound. The problem is not too little bass, but rather, very unclean and unresponsive bass. Based on my experience with my previous car, which had a separate bass speaker in a vented enclosure (i.e., a big wood box with a small hole), I would guess that the Avant (which also has a sub in a box rather than mounted like a regular speaker, right?) creates a tighter, more responsive bass with less of that annoying booming sound as in the sedan. To compound the problem, the rear deck in which the sedan subwoofers are mounted is not very solid and not well (sound) insulated, so it tends to rattle/vibrate at higher volumes.
Old 04-07-1999, 06:58 AM
Dub

Is there a way to "fix" this problem in the sedan? Like getting an aftermarket subwoofer?
Old 04-07-1999, 07:10 AM
KevinH

Default Re: Is there a way to "fix" this problem in the sedan? Like getting an aftermarket subwoofer?

Get a self powered subwoofer and strap it in the trunk. Make sure it has a way to control its own volume. This allows you to turn down the bass on your head unit, thus no ditortion through your stock speakers, and keep a good amount of bass fill coming from the trunk. This setup lasted about six months for me until I yanked everything out and ported a sub through my rear deck. Now every three months I have to tighten all the screws on the car because they rattle lose!!
Old 04-07-1999, 07:14 AM
pt

Default Re: Is there a way to "fix" this problem in the sedan? Like getting an aftermarket subwoofer?

There are dozens of posts on this subject in the archives, but no apparent consensus (besides bypassing the subs and using your own sub box instead). I've tried sound-absorbing carpet padding btwn the deck and the deck lid, but it didn't have any effect. My next plan is to put insulation (maybe dynamat) underneath the deck (i.e, on the trunk side). After that, I might call Crutchfield and ask whether they have a line filter that will remove the very lowest freqs (not sure that's the solution, though). <br>One of the posts also suggested installing good midrange speakers up front to balance out the booming in the back, but that's more $ than I'm willing to spend right now.
Old 04-07-1999, 08:02 AM
Sam K

Default pt is correct ,the Avant uses a separate bass enclosure...

I checked the Bose site and their comments to the sedan is that their system is "custom tuned to the specific interior of the A4." The "Avant utilizing a separate bass enclosure..." Since the Avant doesn't have a rear deck Bose was forced to use a separate enclosure with I think is either two 5" or 6" drivers.In other words a true subwoofer.It sounds like Bose just plopped some cheap speakers in the deck of the sedan that aren't capable of reproducing tight bass.I wish Bose would simply use the Avant sub system in the sedan and the overall sound quality would be greatly improved IMHO.If any one at Audi is reading this go and check out the differences between the Bose in the Sedan&Avant and hear for your self.What really sucks is that Audi charges the same for both systems.Come on Audi do something about this!!!<br>
Old 04-07-1999, 09:24 AM
tjf

Default I wonder ...

I wonder if a box around the backside of each speaker would help. I noticed on a trip, with the trunk packed full, it soulnded much better.
Old 04-07-1999, 11:23 AM
BenC

Wrong Information on Avant Sub. It is only a single 4&quot; paper cone. See post above.
Old 04-07-1999, 01:51 PM
Sam K

Ben,do you have an Avant? I thought I saw in a Euro mag a picture of the Avant sub box with 2 speakers.