A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Front passenger seat rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2000, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front passenger seat rattle

I have a 1999 A4 1.8TQMS w/25,000 miles

Whenever I hit bumps with the front right wheel, I will get a blatant rattle sound. (sounds like dropping something into an empty bucket)

After having a friend ride in the back and the front seats, we have rendered that the seat is the source of this rattle. I have changed the position of the seat (up and down) and have created some variance in the reproduction of this rattle.
I asked the dealer service dept. to take a look at it, and they came back to say that they found a loose seat bracket and tightened it up. I very highly doubt they did a thing because the rattle is still there and the seat never changed its position!

I have spent a minimum of two hours looking under the seat for something loose. I can reproduce the rattle, but not how its sounds while driving. Everything "looks" O.K. I cannot find anything unusual.
This rattle is so blatant! It’s not a creak or a small rattle.
Has anyone experienced something like this?

Thanks to all that respond...

Have a great day.

Patrick B.
Old 04-14-2000, 06:52 AM

Default Yup

Same thing with mine. Front passenger seat rattles when I go over bumps, etc. It only happens when the seat is up high. My GF likes to set it up high, but when I'm driving to work she's not in it and the seat starts to rattle over bumps. If I put it down and back the seat doesn't rattle. I've complained twice to my service guy; first time he said he tightened something; the second time he ordered a new part (seat frame). I'm scheduled to get it installed next week. I'll let you know if that fixes it.

You didn't mention what year your A4 was.

HTH
Ed
99.5 1.8TQMS
Old 04-14-2000, 09:02 AM

Default Audi Ed.....

Thanks for you response..I did mention my model year....it's at the top......

I've noticed that it's easily reproduced when the seat is up high as well........

It does get reproduced when the seat is all the way down as well, just a little harder to get it to rattle.

Isn't it annoying?

Let me know when they install the seat frame.......my car goes into a different dealer next Tuesday (18th) for a "better" examination.

Thanks!

Patrick B.
1999 A4 1.8TQMS
Old 04-14-2000, 09:33 AM

Default Patrick B.....

My bad, you did put up your model year. Sorry.

Annoying? Really annoying! I find myself either putting the seat down and back each time after my GF gets out or putting something to weight it down. I can't wait to get this fixed!
Next Tuesday is the scheduled service. They're doing a 20K service and the seat frame. It may take them two days.

I'll update you next week, and good luck with that different dealer.
Ed
99.5 1.8TQMS