A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Funny (almost) dealer story, if you care....(long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funny (almost) dealer story, if you care....(long)

Since many of you have responded to my requests for mechanic recommendations (much appreciated, BTW), I wanted to share a stealer story with you all....

In a past life I was the proud owner of a '98 BMW M3 coupe, which I tastefully modded over the span of a few years. I ran into an annoying electrical problem that my regular mechanic (non-dealer) couldn't figure out, so upon their recommendation, I took Emma to a dealership we'll call Paul Miller BMW in Wayne, NJ. During the quick spin I took with the tech to demonstrate the problem, he asked all about the car, including the mods I'd made. I told him about the non-electrical improvements, including the short-shifter kit I'd installed. OK, fine, we get back to the shop and it's "we'll call you when we find something." So a few hours later I get the call: "We have a problem, a part fell off of your car while it was sitting in our parking lot, and we'll need to charge you to put it back." My radar goes up. "What part?"

"The clip that holds the shifter linkage to the shift lever. Your aftermarket short shifter must not have been installed right." they tell me. "We'll have to re-install it first before we look at the original problem." Sure. I'd done that install myself (months ago), and the clip they're talking about is widely known in BMWLand as the 'bitch clip', since it won't come out even if you WANT it to. No way it would be shifting fine and all of a sudden just fall out. So I tell them: "You're full of ****. Don't touch the car, I'll be there in an hour to pick it up. And you're not getting a dime." So when I arrive, they've mysteriously changed their tune. They inform me that they decided to replace the part, FREE OF CHARGE, and I can take the car home, have a nice day, sir.

So here's the question: Am I to believe that they decided to perform a repair out of the goodness of their hearts? Or was it that they thought they they had a non-car-guy (there's a ton of those in BMWLand) they could charge for parts and a few hours labor for a non-existant problem? I dunno, you tell me. All I know is that the car was absolutely fine till the day I got rid of it several years later. (The electrical problem I eventually chased out myself.)

So the moral of the story: I don't trust dealers as far as I can **** them, and I'm greatful for positive recommendations for mechanical work from you guys. The poor service I experienced and the disgusting design direction I'm seeing have convinced me that I made the right move to Audi.

Peace.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Very interesting story... I've heard good things about Paul Miller; guess not
Old 01-14-2004, 04:35 AM

Paul Miller BMW is a different animal than PM Audi
Old 01-14-2004, 04:45 AM
Elder Member

Default All dealers are potentially bad

I currently have a scrapfire and last time I went to the dealer for an oil change he told me my brakes were completely finished. I decided to wait and took off my wheels when I came home. The brakes are used but VERY far from finished.
I don't do maintenance on my car because I hate it. I do my own work on the motorcycle and probably on the future A4 once it's out of warranty.