A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Getting discouraged about A4 (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-1999, 06:05 AM
Tony

Default Iv'e had my A4 1.8t for 1 year (17K miles). None of what you mentioned has happened to me.

If there were a place on the internet where other brands owner's can report their problems with their cars. You would see simular problems. I said this a million times you cannot use this board to determine the reliability of the car. For every owner that reports a problem there are 1000 that aren't experiencing any problems. When everything is okay people are quiet. And since you are such a big honda fan follow this link below.<ul><li><a href="http://members.tripod.com/~juan_espero/">Honda Hate Page</a></li></ul>
Old 01-06-1999, 06:28 AM
johnterr

This car is smooothhhh - buy it, you wont regret it!!
Old 01-06-1999, 06:44 AM
Scott

LOVE MY A4!!!!
Old 01-06-1999, 07:19 AM
mshan

Default What about opal gray LEATHERETTE with either a santorin blue or light silver exterior?

Thanks.<br>
Old 01-06-1999, 08:18 AM
rcl4668

Default Re: Getting discouraged about A4 (long)

I ordered an A4 2.8 QMS in light silver with opal grey cloth interior on or about 12/23/98. In response to your message I called my dealer regarding the availability of this exterior/interior color combination. He said that my order had not been rejected and as far as he knew this combination was still available. He said he would inform me immediately if he was informed otherwise.
Old 01-06-1999, 08:27 AM
bash

If it will soothe your fears, I can tell you that you have nothing to worry about. Here's my<br>recent experience<p>On 12/22/98, I rolled out of Boulder for the first extended (3000mi) trip in my 99 A42.8QM. 700 miles on the odometer. The outside temperature was -13F and it had been snowing for 2 days straight so the roads were very snow packed. <p>The first hour of the trip was in Denver rush hour traffic and the roads sucked. I had a lot of opportunites to use the brakes and I can assure you they work in the cold. I also had lots of opportunities to appreciate the sure-footedness of Quattro on slick, icy, streets. <p>The first leg of the trip was approximately 800 miles. At the end of this leg, the trip computer said I'd averaged 77mph. That's with hitting a 35mph zone in some small town every 40 miles or so crossing 300 miles of north Texas on US287. Needless to say, I was cruising at 85mph+ most of the day (as a side note, the cops were out in force and my Valentine 1 came through in spades). There was never any noticeable wind noise *except* when hit with crosswinds on the driver's side. Then, I'd hear a wooshing noise like the window was slightly open. This only lasted for as long as the crosswind was blowing. I only noticed it a couple of times in the whole 10 days I was traveling. <p>While on this trip, I continued to drive the car hard through ice storms in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, heavy wind and rain in south Louisiana, heavy blowing snow in the Texas panhandle and a snow packed Raton pass between New Mexico and Colorado. <p>I can report to you that after all this, and <br>a nice bath when I got back to Boulder, the A4 still looks and drives exactly like when it bought it. No squeaks, groans, parts falling off, oil leaking, oil burning. No nothing. Of course, its only got 3600 miles on it, but there is no indication that the car is prone to *any* problems whatsoever. It starts when I turn the key and goes like hell when I push the accelerator. I agree with Steve S., "Hogwash... get the car and enjoy".<p>
Old 01-06-1999, 08:48 AM
Gus

Default Worst thing about mine is the constant paranoia of getting it scratched / salt-corroded / crashed (already happened) nt.

l
Old 01-06-1999, 08:53 AM
Vic

I own a 98 30v quattro and I love the car it's a superior car I used to own a BMW 325is and even though the Audi does come a little soft on the suspension(I have the sport package)simple spring swap and shocks cures all.And the BMW is a little faster both care are world class. I only have one complain at triple digit speeds about 130mph the doors do vibrate but the dealer asures me they will fix it.
Old 01-06-1999, 09:11 AM
GaryJ

Re-read Steve S.'s post again and again. He's right on. My 98.5 30Vqms is, IMHO, awesome.
Old 01-06-1999, 09:35 AM
randall

have u visited a BMW/Lexus/Honda web site? (EOM)

Quick Reply: Getting discouraged about A4 (long)