A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Getting rotors slotted in Bay Area?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting rotors slotted in Bay Area?

I'd like to get the factory S4 rotors and then have a machinist slot them. Anyone know a good play in the bay area to get this done?
Old 03-06-2001, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That sounds like a really bad idea to me.

I'm no metallurgist, but I have to imagine that subjecting the rotors to that kind of stress/process post-production would seriously compromise the integrity of the rotor. I can't imagine it would be *that* much more expensive to buy a set of pre-slotted rotors that have the slots designed into them. Besides, the S4 rotors aren't known to be an exceptionally quality piece. They are heavy, one piece, not vented, and excessively prone to warping under heavy track conditions. I don't know how many S4 people I've seen post or spoken to personally who have told me about warping their rotors after just one day at the track. I was at 2nd Creek in Denver a few weeks ago, and the 2 S4 drivers who seriously ran the track that day (Wagonboy and Uzanak) were both complaining of possible warping after 30 laps or so. You may never track your car, but I still wouldn't recommend slotting those suckers, regardless. The rotors alone are an okay upgrade if you won't be tracking, but I really don't think having them slotted is a very good thing to do. Maybe I'm an idiot, though.

Another $0.02,

B
Old 03-06-2001, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not as bad as it sounds

I had my rotors slotted by a machine shop and I have since run them at two auto crosses and a couple track days plus 10,000 miles on the street.
no problems.
Old 03-06-2001, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default He's right - they would need to be heat treated after slotting.

You are better off buying new rotors or pads if performance is an issue.

Contact Gary@Ronal - he might know of some. I bought my slotted cross drilled DBA rotor from him for my A4 (a looks thing only - not performance)

Reggie

98.52.8QMS