A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

On the hands free front, has anyone integrated an Ericsson 788 series?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2000, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the hands free front, has anyone integrated an Ericsson 788 series?

I have one of these super small and nifty phones and would like to integrate it into the A4.

The only hands free kits I have seen for it have a cigarette lighter plug and a dorky looking external speaker. There is a big warning that says "do not open" so therefore my instant urge is to get one and tear it apart and see if I can mod it to match up with what Ed Palisoc has been doing for you Nokia folks.

Anyone tried, or am I going where no man has gone before?

Muchas Gracias.<p>99.5 1.8Tqms Laser Red
97 Jetta ]I[ 2.0 GL Gold
88 ZX-10 Red/Black
Old 08-16-2000, 03:25 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Here's some food for thought....

I'd say go for it for a couple of reasons, with the only true dificulty would be mounting the holder without the cigarette on one end.

I suspect inside, ultimately, you will find 2 wires leading from the plug (pos and neg 12v) to the phone plug, or a circuit. This would translate to the blue and black wires in the FAQ. I say blue, because the lighter is a switched power source.

You will probably find 2 wires of short length to a speaker, or it's mounted to a board, but it will still rely on two connections. Translate these with wire of your choice into the speaker wires in the FAQ.

The Mic is always an issue with the Audi. In your case, you DEFINITELY want to use the circuit outlined, as transplanting the mic in that little thingy into the Audi will be difficult, so you want to tune the Audi input to match the phones needs. You won't need all of the fuses/circuitbreakers I outlined, only one for the switched power as long as this switch power also runs the circuit described.

For muting, that will take a bit of investigation; the pins on the bottom of the phone should be accessable withn the housing. I would need one of the pins to supply a signal voltage that stays on during a call. I am working on a circuit that will take that, and translate it into a grounding that will trigger the radio mute. The other option is to manually mute the radio with a pushbutton as described in the FAQ. You need to do this, as the radio effectively cuts the speaker and mic until the mute wire is grounded.
Old 08-16-2000, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I did a Ericsson 300 series phone

I got an old handsfree kit off of Ebay. It was sort of the cigarette lighter type, but with power wires instead. The cigarette lighter plug, probably has a fuse in it, which you'll need to reproduce.
Long story short: I got a project box from Radio Shack to hide the wire connections in. Cut the wires to the speaker in the kit and connected them to the speaker wires from the RJ45 jack. Power wires matched up too.
The kit came with a plug in mike, which I ended up running the wires up to the mike in the A-pillar in place of the stock one. Trust me, it was the easiest way to do it.
As for the mute, I got a push button switch which I had to push when I wanted to use the phone. When the circuit is closed, the radio goes into mute mode.

I'm no longer using my phone, so I'm going to pull the kit from my car. Unfortunately, it might not help you because the connectors aren't the same for the 700 series.

Hope this helps

-Manny
98.5 1.8t
Old 08-16-2000, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You guys ROCK!

The adapter has a wire from the cig adapter, to the speaker, and a second cable running up to the clip adapter which I could velcro into the armrest. I am sure Ed is right as to what I'll find inside the box, so I'll just have to get one and break it open!

Thanks!

Got any more boards Ed?<p>99.5 1.8Tqms Laser Red
97 Jetta ]I[ 2.0 GL Gold
88 ZX-10 Red/Black
Old 08-17-2000, 05:46 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Send me some pics and I'll see what with what else I can help you out .