A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help. Check eng. light, jerky throttle & uncooperative dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-1999, 07:03 AM
Andy Leisner

Default Help. Check eng. light, jerky throttle & uncooperative dealer

For the third time my check engine light has come on on my A4 1.8T. As with the last two times, my throttle response has become abrupt. When backing off the throttle after mild-to-hard acceleration, the fuel injection seems to shut down early and abruptly causing the car the nose dive suddenly as it slows.

Last time at my dealer they replaced a "sticking butterfly valve in the throttle housing." Now, two months, and less than 1,000 miles later the car is doing the same thing!

THIS IS THE BEST PART! My dealer, Rusnak Porsche Audi Jaguar Bentley Mercedes, says that they have a big recall going on now and they won't be able to see my car UNITL JANUARY! I thought that this is probably an Audi recall, but the only one is the TT recall to happen after Jan. 15. So some other brand's recall is keeping my car like this for a month. I would call the Audi District Service Manager for Southern California if I knew the number.

Any suggestions on my problem--both with the car and the dealer? Thanks in advance,

Andy Leisner
Old 12-08-1999, 08:09 AM
ErikR

Default Ohh, lousy diagnosis...How to test

A sticking butterfly (and servos) would either bog it upon acceleration or overrun when let off, not cause it to dive. It would give the on/off throttle response.

Take the hose off the throttle plate and have some move the pedal slowly back and forth with the engine off. Then have them push and lift off abruptly. Then just turn on the engine power but not start it. Let it self check for a minute or so (it'll make noise open-shut). Then fire the engine up and watch the plate movement, have them do the pedal action once it warms up a bit. Then have them push and lift off abruptly. This should tell you a lot more about the problem (if it is the plate).

My guess is the switch, or the switch and idle servo, for the injector cut out are broken (it is supposed to save gas on deceleration).
Old 12-08-1999, 02:33 PM
Tony

Default Could be intermittant throttle position sensor/wires/connector, part of whole throttle body assembly

nt