A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help: Low beams gone

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Low beams gone

Hey folks, I have the following problem:

I just bought an A4/99/2.8 and scanned using Vag-Com 401. It came up with the following fault code:

00526 - Break Light Switch-F
27-00 -- Implausible Signal

I checked the brakes and everything looked OK, so I reset the codes, scanned and everything was fine...so I figured the old owner fixed the issue before selling to me.

But now, I noticed that the low beam doen't work any more, on either side...only signals, fogs & high-beam work...did I screw anything up? How do I get the low beams back on? The bulbs seem to be fine.

The only mod I made was to put an aftermarket radio.

Thx
Old 10-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Break ≠ Brake. That code means nothing and goes away once you press the brake pedal and will not show if you do so before you scan.

Replace the headlight/turn signal switch unit.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

you will always get the brake light switch fault, just ignore it. Scanning for fault codes can't affect the headlights, they are only controlled by the headlight switch. Your problem is probably in the switch assembly. I took mine apart, and found that heat had softened a plastic part that holds a brass sliding contact, which was kept from being forced against the stationary contacts by its spring as it should have been. A little X-Acto knife work and polishing the contacts fixed this. Count on removing the air bag, steering wheel, then the multi-function switch assembly. Have a clear workbench area (I prefer a towel to keep small parts from rolling off) when you take it apart. Not really a hard job, just pay attention.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much dead on.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, Nate
Old 10-24-2009, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thx for the prompt response. I checked the fuses and they are OK...I've done some further research and it seems that this is a common problem with the B5s...I've seen some DYI's on this, but I'm not a very good handy man - had it not been for the airbag, I'd probably go for a few shots of scotch and start right on it - maybe I can find someone that's done it before and can help me...or take it to an indy shop (how big a job is this... like 1 hr?).

Thx for your advise, at least I know it's not from using VAG-COM.

P.S. Would it be better to replace the relay completely?...I mean, if it started to melt, won't it happen more often from now on? Thx
Old 10-24-2009, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

In your case I would suggest just getting a new switch assembly installed by a qualified mechanic. I haven't had any trouble with mine since overhauling it, but since you aren't really experienced with working on cars, this job might best be left to someone else. I am not a professional mechanic, but I should think an hour would be about right.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by turbo510
In your case I would suggest just getting a new switch assembly installed by a qualified mechanic.
Yes, I'll probably opt for that route...is there a part # dor the assembly? I couldn't find anything as of now

P.S. For BMW you can get all the part info from realoem.comwhere just by entering the VIN # it would give me all the OEM parts for my care...is there a similar site for the Audi? Thx
Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by turbo510
In your case I would suggest just getting a new switch assembly installed by a qualified mechanic.
Yes, I'll probably opt for that route...is there a part # dor the assembly? I couldn't find anything as of now

P.S. For BMW you can get all the part info from realoem.com where just by entering the VIN # it would give me all the OEM parts for my care...is there a similar site for the Audi? Thx
Old 10-26-2009, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A quick search found new headlight/turn signal assemblies starting at $135, though I don't know the actual VAG part number. Keep in mind that most repair shops count on selling you the parts at a mark-up, and frown on customers who bring in their own new parts! A friend had a shop, and would find some way to make up for the "loss" of profit.

Quick Reply: Help: Low beams gone