A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help Needed: Plastic piece fell into manual transmission!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Needed: Plastic piece fell into manual transmission!

I was refilling my manual transmission with fresh fluid using a hand pump, but I accidentally dropped the little plastic piece attached to the pump hose into the fill hole. The plastic part is used to attach the hose to the fill hole but it came loose, while removing the hose from the hole.

I’ve tried draining the transmission to get the plastic part out but it didn’t work. I can’t see or feel the plastic part from the fill or drain holes. I’ve tried several methods to reach it without any luck.

The object is made of a soft plastic but I’m still worried that it can damage the internals of the transmission if I leave in. I've included a picture of part that fell into the transmission, which is circled in red.

I would really appreciate any advice to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost barb end

Bummer, dude. I feel your pain. I suppose you have already tried a stiff wire with a hook on the end sweeping in larger and larger circles toward the drain hole.
I would consider this a good time to buy a borescope. The inexpensive ones at mass market retailers like Costco or Harbor Freight would greatly assist you in this job. I've always wanted one 'cause they are so cool, but a need like this would cause me to get one.
I would pull my Father's day card to get one from my spouse.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I tried a coat hanger but it was simply too stiff to move around enough. I'm planning to get a slightly thin wire to try hooking it. I was thinking of getting a LCD Portable Borescope Endoscope SnakeCam tomorrow to pin point the location. I'm just concerned about the long term damage of leaving the plastic part in the transmission, while driving the car for an extended period.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yesterday, I called a few euro repair shops and transmission shops in my area for advice. I was told by 3 different mechanics that I should just continue to drive the car, since it would require removing the transmission and taking it apart to find the plastic part. One guy recommended that I should try to change tranny fluid after driving for 50-70 miles to remove any debris from plastic.

I used a borescope (lcd snake cam) to get a peek in the tranny from the filler and drain holes but I couldn’t see plastic piece anywhere. I believe the part must be lodged in some cavity in housing. I refilled the transmission and drove the car without any issues. I’ll continue to monitor it and change my fluid in a few days with the hopes of flushing out any crushed plastic.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Stig
Yesterday, I called a few euro repair shops and transmission shops in my area for advice. I was told by 3 different mechanics that I should just continue to drive the car, since it would require removing the transmission and taking it apart to find the plastic part. One guy recommended that I should try to change tranny fluid after driving for 50-70 miles to remove any debris from plastic.

I used a borescope (lcd snake cam) to get a peek in the tranny from the filler and drain holes but I couldn’t see plastic piece anywhere. I believe the part must be lodged in some cavity in housing. I refilled the transmission and drove the car without any issues. I’ll continue to monitor it and change my fluid in a few days with the hopes of flushing out any crushed plastic.
Digging up and old one - by how did this end up? I had the same thing happen in my Lexus. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2021, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is a blast from the past! I recall flushing it with cheap fluid about 3-4 times within a few days to ensure the plastic sediment with completely gone.It’s been years since this incident and the transmission is still shifting smoothly.