A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

help please,ive got a rattleing in first gear,sounds like my fans rubbing on somthing, but there is

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please,ive got a rattleing in first gear,sounds like my fans rubbing on somthing, but there is

no sign of that, any suggestions ??? it goes away as soon as i shift into second gear.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:02 PM

Default Do you only hear it when you push the clutch in???

If its the rattle that I'm thinking, I have the same issue...

Question has been asked many times on the forum... Concensus is that its probably just the heat shield resonating... I'm still not too sure about that because it only happens in transition from 1st to 2nd but I've checked and couldn't find anything wrong thusfar...

Hope this helps...

I'm sure that if I'm wrong Raj will chime in with a far more accurate and eloquent response... LOL!
Old 09-09-2003, 12:08 PM

Re:no its when im accelerating,but only in 1st.....
Old 09-09-2003, 12:53 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Chiming in...

I had this same problem on my 00 A4. Never did figure out what it was, but I only heard it when I rev'd through first to redline. As soon as I pushed the clutch in, I could hear this wierd rattling (not a heat shield). It was kinda like marbles in a can, only muffled, and not "tinny" at all. Never did figure out what it was, and the car ran like a champ otherwise. I'd be curious to know what that sound was...if anybody ever finds out!

Actually though...what based on his description, he's got a different problem. He describes the sound WHEN he is in gear...whereas the sound my car made was when I disengaged first at high rpms.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:05 PM

Re: yeah mine, starts at very low rpms, as soon as i put on the gas, its really wierd
Old 09-09-2003, 01:10 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well, usually things like that are associated with heat shields or the exhaust system.

There is a bolt on the downpipe that anchors the downpipe. If the downpipe is not anchored properly, you may get some odd rattling noises. Do you have an aftermarket or stock exhaust?

Heat shields are another possibility as Stage Zero mentioned. Usually they resonate at or near a particular rpm range, and the rattle will quiet down above or below that range. They also have a tinny sound to them, whereas a loose downpipe or exhaust component has a more solid sound to it.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:13 PM

Default Re:no its when im accelerating,but only in 1st.....

i had that problem in my first a4, dealer thought it was the 1st gear synchro. It started out as a rattling sound but progressed into a grinding sound. quite expensive to get fixed, like everything for these cars but i totalled mine before i got it fixed so i cant tell you exactly how much it costs.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Re:stock 2.8 all i have done is wheels and suspension, i need to get it up on a lift

so i can get the wheels moving, it wont do it if im in nuetruel . i think ill have to take it to the shopsoon to figure it out
Old 09-09-2003, 01:17 PM

Default Re:well i dont think its tranny related, it has no vibration at all its a light sound

but it could be with my luck
Old 09-09-2003, 01:31 PM

Default My problem is the exact same as the one you just described buddy!

I knew you'd come through... This may perhaps be the first time that you have been unable to answer a question though...

I'm disappointed Raj... You're slippin' bro!
(just kidding)

Quick Reply: help please,ive got a rattleing in first gear,sounds like my fans rubbing on somthing, but there is