A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help - something is really wrong! (novel inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - something is really wrong! (novel inside)

A couple of weeks ago I posted asking for ideas on why I had a massive power loss above 5200 rpm with my newly installed K04 in my 1997 A4. The consensus was that I had a boost leak, so I tightened everything that I had access to, and the problem cleared up.
A couple of days later, it reappeared, and this time I had an whistle/leak although I could still hear the turbo spool and the BPV release pressure. I figured again that the culprit was a leak in one of the boost/vacuum lines, so I built a pressure tester, hooked it up and found a small leak, which I fixed by tightening the clamp. This didn't solve the problem, and the whistling and loss of power just got worse, with no sound of the turbo spooling.
Again I pressurized the system but couldn't hear any leaks, although I did hear air escaping into the turbo oil return line, and bubbling in the oil pan. For those that have done this type of testing, is this normal? My pressure never got above 10 psi (crappy 12v air compressor), but could I have an oil seal failure?
Last night I decided upon a shotgun approach, and replaced all of the vacuum lines with silicone hose and used hose clamps designed not to cut into the hose at the small diameters. Again, I pressure tested the system, with no audible leaks, except for the bubbling from the oil return line. Again, when I started the car, the whistling and lack of power were not changed. While idling, I tracked down the source of the whistle, and it turned out to be a loose bolt at my turbo to cat connection. This solved the whistling, but still no power. The turbo doesen't even spool up.
At this point I am running out of ideas. One possible idea is that during the first boost leak period, I was running rich, and that caused the cat to fail, breaking into chunks, and clogging up my exhaust. The only problem with this is that it runs fine from idle to where the turbo should be kicking in (2500 - 3000ish) and I don't have a CEL. (I will be checking for DTC's shortly).
The other idea I have is that less than 500 miles after I installed the K04 it has failed, but I have no idea how that could be. It isn't making any noise that I can hear over the rev of the engine, and it is definitely not spooling up. Could there be a problem with the wastegate arm? Everything visually looks alright, but I haven't pulled the turbo yet. My boost gauge reads 18 in/hg at idle, but only shows 1 or 2 psi after I step on the gas.
Any and all suggestions and ideas are welcomed. I'd rather not have to take the car to a shop as it is my daily driver, and I am pretty good at doing most repairs myself. Is there any blocks that I could log to point me in the right direction? Do any of the symptoms sound familiar? I appreciate any input in this situation.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:53 AM

Default You need to be able to do a pressure test with more than 10psi

Install the boost gauge and get back to us. I can't believe you won't install the gauge because you don't think it will help. HELLO, you don't know if its making boost without the gauge. An A4 without a turbo is like a flinstone car, if you are moving faster than 20mph the turbo is working to some degree.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm installing the boost gauge right now, but last night

I did a pressure test with 20 psi from a "real" air compressor with the same results, no audible leaks besides the bubbling in the oil pan.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Hey, I got the same problem with new AWE K04 kit...

though I didn't do a pressure test but my boost gauge tells me that I can't get above ~ 11 psi. The power is good till there though and I can hear the turbo.
I even replace my TT BPV with an EVO one (nice) but still same.
I am going to get it looked at soo and not drive it till then. I'd be interested in what you find out.
I am on a 2001.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My boost gauge is in now, but I am not sure

it is helping much. I get 18 in/HG at idle, but when I get on the gas, I only get 1 or 2 psi max at around 3500. When driving I can only get to about 4500 rpm, and then it loses all power. I am still at a loss for the answer to the problem.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default hum... I guess I am not that bad off...

The car drive great around town. It's just that I am not boosting to what I should be at WOT. People on this board said that boost should peak around 18-20 psi and be able to hold at ~ 14-16.

I am running the K04 software now but I am supposed to have the IBE ecu installed sometime RealSoon(TM). I'll get DSR to look at the boost problem at the same time too and post.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I would have to say what you describe sounds

like a small leak in one of the various boost/vacuum lines. Good luck w/getting it fixed.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Check N75 connections. Did you install the chip? LOL!
Old 03-06-2004, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Check N75 connections. Did you install the chip? LOL!

All of the hoses to the N75 have been replaced, and all connections are tight. No leaks. I am using the "J" valve; I will swap in the stock one tomorrow. The car ran fine for three weeks after I installed the K04 kit, including the chip.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Have you updated your MAF to the new part? all 97's have a MAF that does not work w the K04

Quick Reply: Help - something is really wrong! (novel inside)