A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help! Where is the plug/wire for the CD changer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2000, 10:15 AM
Jon Lane

Default Help! Where is the plug/wire for the CD changer?

I'm going to buy a cd changer from the dealer this weekend and I want to install it myself (save $75). I can't find the wire! I've searched all over behind that panel and I can't find it. Help!
Old 02-18-2000, 10:24 AM
Bobby Kinstle

It is wrapped in grey foam in or very near to the cavity for the changer.
Old 02-18-2000, 10:28 AM
JAH

Default Bobby, I am doing install in my Avant next week, is it the same thing?

Hope I don't screw this up.
Old 02-18-2000, 12:08 PM
Bobby Kinstle

Default I don't know for sure about the avant.

Everybody I know with an avant got the changer to begin with. I imagine it's the same. Did you find the connector? Peel off the foam and you should see a 13 pin male DIN connector (some of the pins are missing, that's OK). All you do is plug the cable adapter into it and the changer. Then mount the changer in the slot. It took me longer to unpack all the stuff yesterday than it did to perform the install. That DIN connector has the signal lines, power, and control.

If you have the BOSE system you are very likely in deep doo doo.
Old 02-18-2000, 12:27 PM
cn

Default The Avant install is very easy. (more)

You can remove the CD changer bracket, following the instructions in the owner's manual for replacing the rear taillight bulbs. The plug should be right in back of the bracket, although you do not need to remove the bracket to get to it.

I have read about difficulty with the sedan installation because the bracket cannot be removed as easily as on the Avant (1999.5 and later, that is).

One point of debate is the notice included with the CD changer that says to make sure the adjustment is made for vertical installation. The CD changer is physically in the horizontal position. Previous posts have said that the A4 CD changer used to be in the vertical position. I, myself, adjusted the changer according to the instructions in the box, before I heard about the configuration change, and have had no problems. At least one other person did the same thing. Others have recommended the "horizontal" setting. There was one person who had trouble with skipping, but the problem seemed to be with the unit, which was replaced, rather than the orientation setting.

Charles Norona
1999.5 1.8T Avant
Old 02-18-2000, 01:05 PM
Bobby Kinstle

That does sound even easier than the sedan. Getting to the screws can be difficult.