A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How do I know if my clutch is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I know if my clutch is bad?

I have a 99.5 Audi A4 Quattro w/ 180k miles.

I down shifted to 2nd, begin to go up a hill and I attempt to go to 3rd, I feel a jerk and hear a loud spinning noise(turbo or free wheel spinning). I then put it in 3rd and the rpms go up but the car moves minimal. I put it in first gear after I turn the car off and it begins to roll backwards and not stay in gear.Have to engage security brake to prevent rolling.

2nd problem...
My door locks no longer pop up when I hit the key, I hear the motor going but the locks wont open any of the doors.

3rd problem...
My airback light and brake light stay on after replacing half shaft in the front? I know my ABS module is out so I will be replacing it.

THANKS FOR ALL ADVICE
Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To test a good clutch or a bad clutch.
1. Does it full disengage when in neutral. Put car in neutral and push in and out the clutch, if the RPM's remain constant thats good news. If you feel any kind of "catch" then you will need a clutch soon.

2. Roll in 1st or 2nd and stomp on the gas. Is there a slight delay? does it fee like the clutch is slipping?

3. You should probably learn how to double clutch and rev match correctly.

4. If it drives like garbage in all gears regardless of speed and RPM then you have a gear box issue and need a new transmission. Drives and "shifts" are two different things. If you issues are only when you are shifting and not "driving" then you have a clutch issue. at 180k plan on getting your flywheel resurfaced or replaced also.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for this Info, Im hoping its not the transmission, from what I see the prices are ridiculous for this car to have that repaired!! I was told 2 months ago that the "clutch plate" is thinning,Ive been leaning towards this but Im concerned about the high pitch noise.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by yasky777
Thanks for this Info, Im hoping its not the transmission, from what I see the prices are ridiculous for this car to have that repaired!! I was told 2 months ago that the "clutch plate" is thinning,Ive been leaning towards this but Im concerned about the high pitch noise.

Swapping out your tranny fluid for one that is more sound deadening may help. A used tranny usually you can find cheap and if you have 4 jack stands, hand tools and a small jack you can change out your tranny yoruself. Used ones in non broken shape usually run 400-800 dollars for just the tranny.

If it makes this noise in all gears not while shifting i would lean more to the gears more so than the clutch plate combo.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I've got a 5 speed trans out of 2.8 if you need it. I'm in CT.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I've got a 5 speed trans out of 2.8 if you need it. I'm in CT.

how much??
peshkins06@yahoo.com
let me know, ill be needing one soon,
for a 99 2.8
Old 03-24-2010, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thecharlum
To test a good clutch or a bad clutch.
1. Does it full disengage when in neutral. Put car in neutral and push in and out the clutch, if the RPM's remain constant thats good news. If you feel any kind of "catch" then you will need a clutch soon.

2. Roll in 1st or 2nd and stomp on the gas. Is there a slight delay? does it fee like the clutch is slipping?

3. You should probably learn how to double clutch and rev match correctly.

4. If it drives like garbage in all gears regardless of speed and RPM then you have a gear box issue and need a new transmission. Drives and "shifts" are two different things. If you issues are only when you are shifting and not "driving" then you have a clutch issue. at 180k plan on getting your flywheel resurfaced or replaced also.
1. Just curious, How would anything "catch" if the car is in neutral i.e. not in gear...

2. This is a good way to tell if the clutch is slipping. You can also put the car in gear engage the parking brake and slowly let the clutch out. If it stalls right away, your clutch is good, if the clutch slips its bad.

3. I hope your just double clutching while downshifting, if you have to doubleclutch while upshifting syncros may be bad.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The whole clutch assembly is bad, along with the fly wheel.
total cost is 1874.00 with labor and tax. Is this a good price?
Old 03-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That seems decent. Others should chime in. My thoughts are the car is most likely worth $4k-5k. I would rather buy another used car that has great maint. records than drop that dough and still have many other worn items/problems.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put the car in say 3rd or 4th gear and try to take off. (ride the clutch) If the car reves up your clutch is bad. If you have trouble ****fing it could be the throw out bearing. Or tranny sync-ros. ALso you can down ****f and pop the clutch and the car will feel like its sliding and won't slow down much. $1874.00 for a clutch?? wow. what do the parts cost?
do you have to pull the the motor or can you just drop the tranny?

Quick Reply: How do I know if my clutch is bad?