A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How many of you change your own oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-1999, 08:05 PM
Walker

Default How many of you change your own oil?

nt
Old 09-19-1999, 08:07 PM
rasin

Default Re: How many of you change your own oil?

i do
Old 09-19-1999, 08:13 PM
Roy S.

Default Re: How many of you change your own oil?

I don't-I have now an A4 1.8T (scheduled maint. covered), but on my Montero, I take it to the local dealer, $21.95 with an OEM filter and they dispose of the used oil. The Montero is leased so I don't really care about what type of oil is used, but in other cars I have had (MB's, Porsche, Audi's) I buy my own synthetic, and get usually a $5-6 credit for my own oil. On a E320 it nets out at about $32 with a MB filter, and 6.5 qts. synthetic. For that amount I'm not going to crawl under the car, and take a chance of spilling used oil in my car trying to dispose of it properly.
Old 09-20-1999, 05:00 AM
Motoman

If you want anything done right, do it yourself. )
Old 09-20-1999, 05:25 AM
Chris L.

Default I want to but can't! (more)

I posted my saga a few ago....

1) Sport suspension doesn't have enough clearance for ramps
2) Need to remove plastic shielding (PITA)
3) Oil filter is located in the center of the engine block - I haven't figured out how to get to it yet. I fellow A4.org'er suggested removing the coolan resevoir and going from above...
4) The drain plug was over-torqued and I ended up stripping the bolt

So, yes, I do want to change my own oil to supplement the freebies from Audi - BUT they have not made it easy!

Chris
98 1.8TQS
Old 09-20-1999, 07:02 AM
please dont respond to this!

is that why dogs lick their own sacks?
Old 09-20-1999, 08:00 AM
Andy Hedin

Default I do...'97 1.8Tqms; Mobil-1 synthetic & Champ (OEM) filter

nt
Old 09-20-1999, 08:42 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Sure you can....

<i>1) Sport suspension doesn't have enough clearance for ramps</i>

You need better ramps. I bought Rhino Ramps from Pep Boys for approx. $40 and they work perfectly with my Sport package equipped A4. These ramps are actually made out of a composite (i.e., plastic) material and they have a lot of reinforcing trusses underneath...they can support something like 12,000 lbs per ramp. Griot's Garage also sells them but they want more $$$ for them. They're advertised as working well for cars with low clearance.

<i>2) Need to remove plastic shielding (PITA)</i>

It's really not that hard once the car is on the ramps...takes me no more than 3 minutes (if that) to remove it. Putting it back on takes a few minutes more.

<i>3) Oil filter is located in the center of the engine block - I haven't figured out how to get to it yet. I fellow A4.org'er suggested removing the coolan resevoir and going from above...</i>

I agree that the filter is a pain to get at. I've got two different types of oil-filter wrenches (one band-clamp type, one "pliers" type) and neither of them works really well due to not having much room around the filter to work.

<i>4) The drain plug was over-torqued and I ended up stripping the bolt</i>

Well, that pretty much sucks. I'm surprised you stripped the bolt....that shouldn't happen if you were using the proper size open-end wrench (use the "closed" end side) or a socket wrench. The bolts either 17mm or 19mm...can't recall off the top of my head.

Anyway, give it another try sometime...it's not really that bad.

<A HREF="Mailto:andy_hedin@hotmail.com">Andy Hedin</A>
'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Garrett 1.0 Bar, ABT Filter, APR/Borla Exhaust, Euro Headlights, more...
Old 09-20-1999, 08:58 AM
Chris L.

Default Thanks Andy - I am determined esp since I have 12 OEM filters sitting in my garage!

-I'll look into the ramps.
-Any more advice on filter access would be appreciated.
-We (friend and I) used a socket wrench... we tried with all our might to crack the bolt loose to no avail. We ultimately (after 15 minutes of unsuccessfull muscling) made the mistake of trying to 'tap' it loose by hitting the handle of the socket wrench with a hammer - that's what stripped it. Anyway, the dealer got it out no problem and charged me $11 for a new bolt.

I'll try again in about 4000 miles since I had them do the oil service when they got the bolt out...

Cheers,
Chris
98.5 1.8TQS Tip + AutoThority, Mobil 1 with 12 unused oem oil filters in my garage!
Old 09-20-1999, 09:16 AM
Andy Hedin

Default More on Rhino Ramps and oil filter access...

Link to the manufacturer's website:
http://www.blitzusa.com/automoti.htm

User-reviews of the Rhino Ramps from a Miata site:
http://www.miata.net/products/pmisc/rhino.html

As far as removing the oil filter...I personally think that one of the "cap" oil-filter wrenches might be the best bet. Basically, the cap slides over the end of the filter and then you attach a socket wrench to the cap to turn the filter. I think with the proper length socket extension and the cap tool, the filter could be easily removed.

My band-clamp type works OK...it's just slightly too big so I can't get a good grip on the filter. I ended up cutting up an old bike inner-tube and using a stip of that inside the band-clamp to grip the filter better...works well enough for me that I probably won't bother buying anymore filter wrenches.

Andy Hedin

Quick Reply: How many of you change your own oil?