A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I checked the archives - Cell Phone power question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-1998, 07:56 AM
Howard Kim

Default I checked the archives - Cell Phone power question?

Let me preface this by saying that I have check the archives extensively and I am not an EE.<p>I have a 98.5 A4 1.8t and a Motorola M75 Digital Phone. All I would like is to have a cable that is connected to my car that I can connect to my phone to supply power. I would also like it to only supply power when the ignition is on. I don't really need to use the built-in mic or the speaker. I am more than willing to hold the phone when I use it.<p>Everything in the archives shows how to "integrate" the phone. I just want power. If anyone can help, please!!<p>Many thanks,<br>Howard Kim<br>98.5 A4 1.8tms(neu)
Old 11-05-1998, 08:23 AM
Jason

Default I have all your answers!!!...

I did exactly the same thing you want to do...<br>This is what I did (of course you don't have to do the same thing)<br>I used my cigarette lighter adapter cord for my phone that charges the battery on my phone when attached and powers my phone when no battery is attached. Most likely at the cigarette lighter plug there is a voltage regulator that brings down the voltage from the cigarette lighter (which puts out 12v) to about (5 to 8v) depending on the phone, and that's why they are specific for phones when you buy them. You will also need to locate the RJ45 connector in the car. I have a 98.5 (where the cupholder is under the armrest and so the RJ45 connector is IN the armrest...if you have an early 98 then check the archives on how to access your RJ45 connector somewhere in your center console) In the trunk area, find the DB25 connector that is on the left side behind the lining (you might have to temporarily move your CD changer if you have one to get a better reach back there.) This is the most important piece. I'm at work right now (I have the pinouts at home so I don't remember them off hand) they are in the archives, but honestly i'm too lazy to check right now. anyway, two pins (12v and ground) come from the battery and you want to connect these two to a voltage regulator (ie. like your cigarette lighter phone charger if you have one (i suggest you get one..makes it so much easier). The output of the voltage regulator (about 5-8 volts and ground) connect to 2 other pins in the DB25 connector. (the pinouts have the option to have switched (ignition on) and unswitched (Power all the time)..I used switched. Those 2 pins which the output goes to should go to any 2 of the 8 pins that go back to the RJ45 connector IN the car. Then all you have to do is use the 2 corresponding pins in the RJ45 connector and connect it to your phone (again, what I did is cut my cigarette lighter charger cord...one piece (the end) is the voltage regulator and the other piece is the cord and connector that goes onto the phone). This probably sounds confusing, but it really is easy. If you want more info just ask or email me. Oh, for a professional look, get an RJ45 adapter (which you'll have to crimp on with a tool) so that you can just plug and unplug the cord into the RJ45 connector.<p>Jason<br>98.5 1.8T
Old 11-05-1998, 08:31 AM
Jason

Default I forgot to mention...

To connect anything to the DB25 (female) connector in the trunk you'll have to get a 25pin (male) connector that simply plugs onto it. I personally have an encloser box so everything is clean and I can take the whole thing out easily if I ever wanted to. Soldering is probably required for the wires too.
Old 11-05-1998, 08:33 AM
Kevin P

Default Re: I have all your answers!!!...

RJ-45 connectors that do not need a crimping tool are readily available.<p>Instead of buying and wiring a regulator, use the cigarette lighter plug you've cut off. Buy a cigarette lighter socket (auto parts store or radio shack) - wire this to the "power side" of the DB25 and the cut side of your power cable to the "console side of the DB25.
Old 11-05-1998, 08:38 AM
Jason

Default even simpler

what i did is infact use the cig lighter part I cut off...the the part that goes into the cig lighter I soldered wires to the connectors and they go to the battery pins of the DB25 and the actual "cut" part where the cord was..I connected those wires to the 2 pins that go back inside the car to the RJ45 connector....so you don't need to buy an cig lighter socket just to plug the thing into...also it makes the entire "thing" smaller by using less stuff