A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I got REARENDED today! My car is totaled.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2001, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got REARENDED today! My car is totaled.

I got rearended today on the Meadowbrook Parkway NB in L.I. I don't even know what happened. I just got on the Meadowbrook from Old Country Road, in the right lane just after merging in going about 50-55 MPH. Next thing I know I was stopped on the grass facing up an embankment on the side of the road stumbling out of the car while a total stranger untangles my seatbelt off me.

I was like WTF happened?, then he told me I got hit from behind. I look at the car and the whole rear end is smashed in. The back wheels were pushed forward about 2 inches and the little "quarter" windows in the back was broken and the C-Pillar was buckeld.

I did not see or hear a thing before this. I did not even see the other car. Where I came to a stop was just after an overpass. In fact, If It was ten feet sooner I probably would have went into the overpass.

At some point I called my wife and then my boss. I don't know why I called them first I was just so dazed. I don't even remember calling my boss at all.

I looked into the car and there was glass all over the back seat and then I noticed the passenger side curtain had deployed and was still smoking. I don't know what I hit on that side that made it go off.

The paramedics came and took me to the hospital but before they did I had the "stranger" who was very nice BTW get my briefcase out the trunk (I don't know how he opened it) and I even asked him to get my V1 which was hanging by the cord in front of the steering wheel.

The took me to the hospital and got X-rayed twice.
Nothing broken just a sprained neck. They tell me that the next 2-3 days are gonna hurt. The trooper who took my info said that the other car that hit me had actually flipped over. And he has statements from the witness's that the guy was driving real erratic and FAST. One guy said that he saw the car come up real fast behind him then moved into right lane and that's when he hit me.

This guy must have been going 90+ MPH. I don't even know what kind of car it was.

I am so PISSED right now but also VERY THANKFUL that I walked away from it. It's the first accident I ever had.

The whole thing hapened so fast. I'm wondering, should I try to sue?

I will try to get pics as soon as I can but I can say this. The paramedic said that I was lucky I was in such a well built car. He said if I was in a Toyota or something, it probably would have not walked away so easily.
Old 09-18-2001, 07:07 PM

Wierd, people dont usually speed at that end of the Meadowbrook
Old 09-18-2001, 07:07 PM

I dunno what you could sue for, but at least you are ok for the most part.
Old 09-18-2001, 07:08 PM

Default Sucks dude. Keep us updated

Find out more about the other driver before you sue. If he was going excessively fast and driving irresponsibly or under the infuence, then you should consider it. If the guy was just not paying attention or something happened to his car that caused the accident, please don't.
Old 09-18-2001, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

You can sue for pain and suffering, ESPECIALLY if you hurt your neck. Insurance should do the rest.
Old 09-18-2001, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Shadetree legal recommendations...

If things get the least bit hinky with his insurance, retain the services of an attorney. At minimum you should recover all of your medical expenses, both immediate and a fair ammount determined by your expected increase in number of visits to chiropractors, etc over the course of your life as a result of this accident. That's about the extent that you'd be able to get out of him damage wise unless you are unable to work for some reason.

The insurance company will want to settle and they will lowball your original offer. You've got witnesses that say he was driving like a maniac, point this out if necessary.

Glad to hear that you're okay.
Old 09-18-2001, 07:16 PM

Default Dont get me wrong. I'm NOT looking to get rich here, I just dont know what to do.(more)

I don't want to go thru all that legal crap and make the guys life hell, but after all he was driving irresponsibly and he should PAY.

One side of me says to count my blessings and let it go, after all that's what insurance is for

On the other hand, I don't want to leave any money on the table
Old 09-18-2001, 07:18 PM

Default if you are genuinely injured, sue.

regardless, his insurance will be paying for your injuries and car.

hope all is well...
Old 09-18-2001, 07:19 PM

Default Glad you walked away from that one...

and, much as I hate to see an A4 get totalled, it's a good thing that it took the damage instead of you.

Have you given any thought yet to what you're going to replace it with?
Old 09-18-2001, 07:20 PM

replace it with? Another A4 of course, or perhaps an S4 even

Quick Reply: I got REARENDED today! My car is totaled.