A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I would like to relate a terrifying experience from last night, The Forgotten Drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would like to relate a terrifying experience from last night, The Forgotten Drive

Greetings all,

Though I do not know how much this we apply to most of the people on this board, I feel like I have to tell it.

Note: as a joke I will say that an Audi can drive itself.

Now the serious part.

I have been an Insulin dependent Diabetic for almost 15 years and have always been under tight control, never had a serious Insulin reaction, and test my blood sugers at least 3 times a Day.

Yesterday Afternoon, with the onset of the first real above freezing day up here in minnesota me and some friends went out for our inagural Mountain bike ride of the year. Not a hard on about 20 miles of mostly level dirt, asphalt and some playing aroud in downtown Minneapolis.

Got done about 4:00 went home Checked the blood suger, was just fine, did my Insulin and sat down and ate a full dinner.

I had to go into work last night at about 9:30 to sanitize our water system and got done about 11:00. Felt fine the whole time, and felt fine as I was leaving the parkinglot in my car.

I remember driving the about 1 mile to the entrace to the highway I take to head home, The next thing I realize, I am almost 60 miles south on that road and do not remeber how I got there.

Hwy 52 runs south from the cities through some very desolate country and thus it took me awhile to actually realize where I was.

I pull off and sit in the car for about 10 minutes, shaking uncontrollably, going over in my mind what had just happened. I take my Sugar Gel out of the glove compartment at use it all to boost the blood sugars incase they are not yet up to where they should be. (monitor was at home)

I get myself oriented and drive the 50 miles back home.

Never have I had a reaction comeon so fast, nor have I heard of it happening. The Only thing I can figure is that my bike ride from the afternoon,the first in about 2 months,along with the late night activities, contributed to the sharp drop in blood sugar.

PLEASE, If you know of anyone who is diabetic, or are yourself. Take Care, and take extra care when your activity changers!!!!

James Ford
KleinCrazy
Old 03-19-2001, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

holy sh*t!! Glad to hear nothing happened! That's SCARY!
Old 03-19-2001, 07:39 AM

Default That is scary....

BTW... I have a Klein Adroit that I have been debating about parting with. Know anyone that would like?
Old 03-19-2001, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My father had that happen once after returning from vacation. It turned out to be severe caffeine

withdrawal
Old 03-19-2001, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Glad you're safe, and good advice for those with Diabetes
Old 03-19-2001, 08:23 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Thank you!

My father was diagnosed less than two years ago. He's done really well controlling the sugars, even through some upsetting times in his life. Still, I'll show this to him. Very helpful!

Take Care!
Old 03-19-2001, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hmmm. Desolate road, late at night, missing time.....(more)

it could be just a scary blood sugar reaction, but if you start setting off metal detectors with your head, don't be shocked if the x-rays detect a strange metal object implanted in your coronal sinuses. Did you check the back of your head for a bar code? Do you recall any bright lights? :-)

But seriously man, that had to be really scary. Glad you are okay. Thanks for the warning and the advice.

Chris B.
98.5 1.8TM APR