A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Idle Stablizer Valve....where is it located?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-1998, 11:03 AM
Bob Petruska

Default Idle Stablizer Valve....where is it located?

I have a '97 2.8LQM and have the problem of the idle dropping to 0 rpm and then instantaneously back to normal 750. This happens at least once a day if not often more! I understand that this is probably a sticking idle stablizer valve. I will have this valve changed at my next dealer visit, but would like to clean and lube the present one to make sure that this is the problem and not something else.<p>Does anyone know where this valve is located on the 2.8 12V? Is it the black valve module that is mostly cylindrical in shape with a wiring connector on the end, and is located to the left (looking at engine)of the engine centerline at the rear of the engine and bolted to the intake mainfold?<br>
Old 11-22-1998, 12:12 PM
E

Default Hope this helps....

Thanks to Quattro 20V pages..<p>E<ul><li><a href="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3229/engprob.htm#isv">ISV's</a></li></ul>
Old 11-22-1998, 03:55 PM
Bob Petruska

Default Close...but

E, again thanks for staying with me on this.<p>I followed your link and actually the second ISV picture looks more like the one I was pointing to except my 2.8L doesen't have any hoses going to it.<p>This is still possible as what looks like the ISV is bolted to the intake manifold next to the throttle plate, which can route air pass the throttle without hoses. I'm sure we will find out it this is the correct module.
Old 11-22-1998, 05:17 PM
Dale B

Default Bob - I e-mailed some scans.

If the Idle Stabilizer Valve is the same thing as the Idle Air Control Valve, you might have what you need in your e-mail inbox. The ISV valve looks similar to the second valve in the link you checked below, but has air connections that bolt right up to the manifold or something. It doesn't have hose connections, but does have an electrical connection at the top.
Old 11-23-1998, 06:02 AM
Tony

Default Re: Idle Stablizer valve : Where and how to fix

Had same problem on 1993 90S 2.8. Well, the picture someone sent is not the IAC for the V6. The 2.8 V6 IAC is the thingey on the left side (as viewed from the radiator), rear of the manifold, no hoses, just a 2 prong square electrical connector on a tubular section, 2 or three 10mm bolts. You have to remove the "cosmetic" engine cover, and the intake air hose / airflow meter. Unbolt the IAC, and look inside, there is a rotary vane which varies the size of the slot, in response to current thru the actuator coil. Check coil with ohmeter, I think its about 50 ohms, (check manual). Use a Q tip and naptha solvent to clean the slot and the surface of the rotary cylinder. I suspect dirt between the rotary cylinder and the outer wall binds it up. Be carefull not to scratch the rotary cylinder, as a nick will only cause a new hang-up. You can rotate the cylinder to clean its whole surface, I used a variable 0 to 12VDC bench power supply to rotate it electricaaly, but I suppose you can use your finger or toothpick to turn it. One last clean out / lube of WD40, and mine works as new!
Old 11-23-1998, 04:41 PM
Bob Petruska

Default This is the correct one, Thanks

-