A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I'm curious to hear everyones opinions about fwd vs awd

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm curious to hear everyones opinions about fwd vs awd

Is it seriously as bad as everyone makes it out to be? I've never driven a FWD car hard and the only one I have at my disposal is my mom's convertible Saab 900s, which I don't think would be the best specimen. So you get a little more understeer...just ease off the gas a bit. It doesn't seem like it would be such a big deal to me but like I said, I've never really driven one hard. Well at least the last time I did I have no idea about car control or dynamics
Old 02-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default FWD is great, if you have good tires, and a good LSD...

Driving one at speed will be very similar to driving an A4 at speed, as the A4 chassis is basically a FWD chassis with rear wheel drive added to it.

Nice things about FWD are, significantly less drivetrain drag, weight.

Bad things about FWD are, significantly less traction, poorer weight distribution.

People have been doing great things with FWD for a long time. we get spoiled with AWD, but FWD is not as bad as it sounds. I'd rather have FWD than RWD here in VT.. my mom's old 330i would barely make it up my driveway in the summer with the traction control off.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fwd blows.

need i say more?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A friend of mine is picking up one tomorrow, 99 A4 1.8T FWD...

too bad it has a bitch stick!! Never drove an AWD until my A4, now I won't have anything else.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I currently own both. understeer in curves is not the only problem...

There are other problems such as traction, swing style rear end instead of independent and control in any climate and enviroment. Quattro has been far superior in all these areas. Then comes handling. I feel that the difference is significant. You can not only push and pull your way thru turns but you can correct a slide and prevent slides etc... I never thought I'd go back to FWD after own a Talon TSI, that car was fun, but I ended up with two FWD after that. I didn't enjoy driving as much until I got this QMS. I don't race it, or drive that hard but for the driving I do, it helps. Especially traction, I love being able to put the power to the ground in dry or wet conditions. FWD would take a lot to grab in the rain and would peel in the dry.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have both as well

I do just fine with my GTI at the track, and I surprise a lot of people driving cars that, on paper, should be owning me.

With that said, I'm still doing the turbo swap into the 80, as my quattro habit will not be denied!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yes!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:04 PM

Default I have a FWD and here is my take on this..

I live in Nor. Cal where we don't see a lot of inclement weather and i'm not big into skiing either. I was just out of college, buying a new car and could not justify the added expense of Quattro Ended up buying a FWD car. So far i'm extremely satisifed.

However the tires struggle for traction when getting off the line aggressively in wet weather. Cars with more power (chipped, bigger turbos,etc) will suffer more. I'm chipped and i hate it when this happens. With quattro i'm assuming this will be absent and this is a big plus. I'm no expert but i've heard that Quattro understeers more than FWD in stock form? Of course quattro is a lil heavier as well. Dialing out the understeer in a FWD car can be achieved with a larger, stiffer sway bar and a good shock/spring combo.

Many folks here will say that Quattro defines Audi and i tend to agree. If i had to do it all over again i'd probably get Quattro. If you live in snowy areas, its a no brainer. But Audi does make a real nice FWD.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:05 PM

Default FWD has its moments...

but it does not "blow". If I were comparing the two and could only have one...it would be Quattro. However, there are many FWD cars that have geat handling. My 89 Jetta was a damn Kart! It had full suspension with thick *** sways and could hit turns harder and recover better than my friends 1996 Quattro A4. He had a fully stock car though, so I'm not comparing it to a modded Quattro obviously. The 4 link suspension is not the best thing in terms of avoiding front end oversteer on the Quattro. By using all the 8 different front end links, not counting the sway bar links, it added too much areas of give. And due to the defects involved with the 4-link..I still think it should have been abandoned to a better setup. If you are thinking about FWD or Quattro when it comes to purchasing an A4..get the Quattro. I settled for the FWD back when the Turbo A4 was new to America...I think I should have waited. If you are someone who lives in a mild climate and will only use it as a commuter car, you can settle for the FWD. The Quattro can be felt at the wheel, and some non-enthusuasts do not like that feeling of it fighting you almost. If you are even slightly an enthusiast...get the Quattro.
J
Old 02-27-2006, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well I don't know if I worded the question right.

I know FWD is the last on the list but everyone always makes it seem like a fwd car is void of all fun. I would think they're exaggerating a bit

Quick Reply: I'm curious to hear everyones opinions about fwd vs awd