A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

:-( Insurance companies suck!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 06:31 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default :-( Insurance companies suck!

I had a talk with my agent this morning. I filed yet another insurance claim for an accident this weekend. Two accidents in three months (prior to that, my record was accident-free for 15 years of driving), I was rear ended in both. I asked about my rates...they WILL be going up. I asked about what may happen if another no-fault accident should occur...she hinted that there is a good possibility that I could be dropped (I don't think State Farm likes to deal with problem drivers...even with the higher rates they can charge). I guess it's no surprise...if you're paying them, they are happy, but if they have to pay out, they are no longer happy! I figure they have charged me about $10K in insurance fees over the years, and their total payout from these two accidents will be about the same, and they should recover >95% from accident #1, and 100% from accident #2. Despite that, I'll be left at the curb if so much as a rock hits my windshield!!! WTF?
Old 07-29-2002, 06:33 AM

yes, yes they do. :-\
Old 07-29-2002, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That went under no fault? Didn't the other driver pay for everything?
Old 07-29-2002, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Suggestion...

Raj, first of all, if the insurance company collects from the at-fault driver's insurance, and your insurance company has a $0 liability, then the accident should not be charged against you. However, this may vary from state to state.

Since this second accident is relatively minor, if that is indeed State Farm's policy (or their policy in your state) then you might want to consider paying this out of pocket, and then YOU file with the other driver's insurance company.
I have done this before. It's not so bad. Especially in a situation as cut-and-dry as getting rear-ended, and the fault is obviously the other driver.
(It gets more difficult when both companies point the finger at the other.)

In fact, it might even be FASTER to put the claim in yourself with the other insurance carrier, rather than go through your insurance. And you get the added benefit of not having it on your insurance record.

Call me if you want to discuss this. I've done it twice in the past, both with very positive results.

-- Peter
Old 07-29-2002, 06:57 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default What really pisses me off is "what the F--- do I pay them for?".

You're right, and I did ask them about this. My concern is that there is a third party involved. 3 car accident, car #1 hits car #2 and pushes car #2 into car #3 (me). I need to deal with the insurance co. from car #2, however car #1 is really at fault. If there is ANY doubt about which of the other two cars was at fault, I'm afraid that this may leave me going back and forth between two companies trying to get my money back. I just don't have the time to deal with that.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Perharps the agent...I use state farm and have been very pleased

I use them for home and auto insurance. The few times I have had to make claims for auto and home they have been more than willing to pay out without a lot of hassle. Try a different agent maybe?
Old 07-29-2002, 07:07 AM

The other driver should pay for all. If you hit the car in front of you, you're considered too close
Old 07-29-2002, 07:09 AM

I feel your pain.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I totally agree with Pelican Pete.......

I was hit in a parking lot almost 2 years ago, and in hindsight should have simply paid for the repairs myself. I just recieved my deductible back last month and my insurance nearly doubled. My wife was dropped after 2 claims and trust me, you do not want to go down that road. If at all possible, I would try to avoid putting in the claim. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2002, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Man that sucks...

I have only ever filed one claim (knock on wood). I hit a deer and it did $5500 damage to my car. I was told that it was a "no fault" accident and I did not use up my "one time no-charge claim." So I have still have one accident that I can claim which would be "at fault" before my rates are (legally) allowed to go up.

It sucks because each and every one of your accidents could've been worse where they would've had to pay out more, etc...

Quick Reply: :-( Insurance companies suck!