A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Integrated garage door opener...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-1999, 02:39 PM
Shabbis

Default Integrated garage door opener...

I noticed on the http://www.seansa4page.com/ that Sean was able to take a "dead button" and turn it into a garage opener. He doesn't have any details on how to do it though.<p>I have a 99.5 2.8QMSA and I have one "dead button" available, I think it is the ASR button, which is not needed since I have Quattro.<p>I was wondering if anyone else out there has done this and what the procedure is.
Old 06-21-1999, 03:08 PM
Sean G

Default Some Answers...

The dead button is really nothing more than a spacer. I purchased a second Defroster button which is the only momentary switch available for the dash. I opened up the switch and removed all of the internals except the wiring for illumination and power. The voltage had to be dropped in order to get it down from 12v to 9.3 volts for the remote. I ran two wires out of the switch to the remote's circuitry which I placed inside the boost gauge housing on my dash. In essence the defroster switch replaced the push button switch on the remote's board.<p>This ended up being a more complicated project than I had planned and since I had someone else handle the rewiring I did not get a good set of instructions documented nor did I get photos of the project. This is one project that really needed them. :-(<p>I originally had the remote circuitry stored in the small compartment on the right side of the buttons but found that the remote range was unacceptable. By placing it inside the boost gauge housing it was as good as before. One thing to be aware of is just how complicated the circuitry inside the defroster switch really is. I was amazed and it took a little bit to figure out what all was going on.<p>Hope this helps a little.<p>Sean<br>97 1.8Tqm<br>99.5 1.8Tqm<p><ul><li><a href="http://www.seansa4page.com">Sean's A4 Page</a></li></ul>
Old 06-21-1999, 03:13 PM
Lazlo

Sean - did you get your new car. Just curious.
Old 06-21-1999, 03:32 PM
phred

Default A much easier alternative

Found their ad in the Roundel; sounds like a neat little toy:<p>www.handytouch.com
Old 06-21-1999, 04:57 PM
Sean G

Keeping my fingers crossed for mid-July
Old 06-22-1999, 03:56 AM
slack

Default Simpler still...I removed the ash tray insert and stuck my opener inside the ash tray compartment.

Kinda lame but functional nonetheless. I was a little worried the remote would rattle around in there but haven't heard it yet.<p>slack<br>99.5 2.8M