A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

interesting question about Tiptronic transmission's downshifting behavior...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-1999, 11:22 AM
Conker

Default interesting question about Tiptronic transmission's downshifting behavior...

My 98 1.8TS-tip gas pedal has two stopping points, one about an inch before the floor and then the actual floor itself. These two points make the transmission do different things depending on if you are in Tip mode or Drive mode. My question is, if you are in Tip mode, and you absolutely floor it the tranny shifts down into a lower gear, very often putting the rpms at or near 7000. Why create a shift pattern to behave this way when the engine is making less power here. Is it because most drivers associate rpms with accelleration? I have to actually monitor the pedal and be sure not to push through the first resistance point on the gas pedal in order to keep the engine out of the red. <br>As a side note, this tranny is so responsive to throttle position in either mode... I love it. You can actually pretty much shift this thing with the gas pedal far more effectively than a conventional auto. Again, love the engineering... my car just breaks too much.<br>Conker
Old 07-08-1999, 11:41 AM
Dan F.

Default Re: interesting question about Tiptronic transmission's downshifting behavior...

I've noticed the same odd behavior in my tiptronic. A few times I've been in tip mode and punched the gas, only to have the transmission shift by itself into the redline area. I honestly don't know why they did this ... it seems like a flaw to me.<p>Dan<br>
Old 07-08-1999, 01:05 PM
Rob MacK

Default The Tip chip may help you!

I find that these sudden high-RPM downshifts are somewhat lessened if you actually use the Tip shifter instead of letting it automatically downshift. W/ the Tip chip, you have much more control over the shifting points and it makes for better driving.<p>Of course that means squat here in NYC where we have potholes the size of coffins and roads that fall apart every 2 minutes. But, there are a few spots in the city that will satisfy my need for speed..<p>Rob
Old 07-08-1999, 02:22 PM
RR

Default Do you guys ever have the problem like this....

When I try to upshifting from 3rd gear to 4th gear<br>the transmission looks like slide for few hundreds rpm before shifting, for example, when I try to upshift at 4000rpm(3rd gear), the trans. suppose to stay at 4000rpm and then upto 4th gear, the trans. go down to 3000rpm something, but my trans. have to slide upto 4500rpm and then upshift to 4th gear and the rpm down back to 3000rpm something. Is there anyone got the experience on this or know what's wrong with my trans.? Thanks anyway..
Old 07-08-1999, 04:13 PM
Dan F.

Default I haven't really noticed that behavior ...

In manual shift mode, there is definitely a slight pause before shifts, hence the RPMs can slide up a little higher than you expect before the shift takes place if you don't let off the gas.<p>In auto shift mode, I haven't noticed anything similar to this in my car. Seems like your transmission may be hesitating in between gears longer than it should. You might ask your dealer/mechanic about it.<p>Dan<br>
Old 07-08-1999, 04:15 PM
Conker

Actually, I eagerly await your report that you have been alluding to. Tomorrow? Also, I am dumping my lemon A4 in Oct. for my new S4.
Old 07-08-1999, 04:23 PM
Conker

Default I think mine does this too. It's like it shifts to neutral and then to fourth?more

Kind of like it slides to neutral and then to fourth. It does this only sometimes I believe. This also supports my previous post about how the tranny glides to neutral between DOWNshifts... For example: If I am in third gear in Tip mode and I decide to jump down to second gear... I can floor it (to the first resistance point on the pedal) and actuall set up the rpms for the lower gear. ALMOST like I am in a manual shift tranny! Of course, it is not as flexible as I have just described, but it is still a bit flexible. I like it.<br>Conker 98 1.8TS-tip
Old 07-08-1999, 04:44 PM
AaronT

Default Re: The Tip chip may help you!

I have the Garrett (GIAC) Tip chip, and he's told me that there is an actual physical trigger that forces the car to downshift when the throttle goes below one inch (or something) off the floor. Supposedly the Tip chip does not control that trigger. I think this is what causes the car to downshift two times in a row when you floor it in auto mode- the first time it shifts is the auto programming and the second time it shifts is the hardware trigger. So you either have to make sure that when you "floor" it you don't actually push the throttle all the way to the floor, or you somehow disable that trigger.<p>It seems like the rpms will sometimes go up before upshifting in my car, but I think it's just because the car will sometimes delay shifting and since I'm still giving the car gas it looks like the rpms go up before the shift. (I only see the delayed shifting when first starting and driving the car on a cold winter morning)<p>Aaron<br>
Old 07-08-1999, 06:42 PM
saj

Default Re: interesting question about Tiptronic transmission's downshifting behavior...

While it would be nice if it could figure out which way would give you<br>more power, I figure it's just the same thing that auto transmissions always do when you floor it. As a lifelong (gasp!) automatic owner, I'm kinda happy it does it, since<br>if it always stayed in the selected gear in Tip mode, my lack of instinct to manually shift down in an emergency could get me killed :-) <p>saj