A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Just did a final washing & waxing before the snow... Could I have damaged my paint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just did a final washing & waxing before the snow... Could I have damaged my paint?

I have a 2000 silver 1.8TQ that I just washed and waxed with Meguiars car wash and Meguiars Gold Class wax. It was about 50°F and cloudy. After washing the car, I dried it off with a cloth towel and waited for the car to completely dry off. I then applied to the wax using the included pads. After the car was covered, I waited a min or two and then wiped it off using another cloth. After wiping it off once, I went back again and did it one final time.

Afterwards, I went to feel the paint, and it felt kinda rough and maybe even gritty at parts. Could this just be particles from the cloth towel? Or could I have damaged the paint? When wiped with a cloth, it felt smooth as glass, but with my hands I noticed the rougher texture.

Any input is welcome. Thanks,

P.S. if I happened to miss a spot and left a bit of wax in some corner, what will that do to the paint?

Brett
Old 11-24-2001, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Some answers...

In the future, do small sections at a time with wax- for instance half of the hood, then buff that out. But, Gold Class is smooth and oily enough that you probably didn't hurt your paint with that. On your early winter/spring wax you might want to try a clay bar and polish/glaze before the waxing to smooth out your paint. Unless you noticed a huge difference in smoothness before and after the wax, I really doubt you did anything to the paint (especially if the pads didn't have any debris in them).

And if you miss a section of wax, just take it off with a clean terry cloth towel when you see it. If it's got any dirt or debris stuck to it, wet it first or take it off during your next car wash.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sounds like you just need clay bar

The feeling you feel with your hand you will not feel with a cloth 99.9% of the time. Only your hand is able to feel the imperfections (dirt, tar, grit, etc) that gets embedded into the paint. That's what clay bars remove. You can HEAR them removing this stuff when you use them (don't worry, it's safe).

I'm guessing your paint was like this before and you just happened to notice it for the first time. I suggest when winter is over you do a washing with car wash soap, clay bar, than another glaze/waxing. After you clay bar, the paint should feel smooth like it was new again.