A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Just got back from a 700 road trip...ugh (rant warning)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got back from a 700 road trip...ugh (rant warning)

damn i need to buy a beater, not worth subjecting the Audi to all this crap.

Let's see. Wonderfully conditioned roads result in the Audi banging around on the roads for hours on end. Multiple semi-treads laying across lanes offering the spur-of-the moment emergency slalom opportunities. Also got to get some of the smaller tread pieces kicked up and smack my bumber.

Hit a particulary bad pothole which i could not avoid to be greeted by a lovelt smashing followd by a lovely sound of metal rubbing and vibrating on something. I pull off to inspect and find to my distinct joy that the screw on the Milltek DP which mates to the hanger there has snapped off (owning a Milltek is joy and pain...joy at the exhaust note, pain at the poor fitment).

Okay, so i send ALL saturday sitting at a muffler shop. I tell them just to tack weld that Milltek DP to the OEM hanger location. The grease monkey who pulled the car in was kind enough to leave grease EVERYWHERE he touched. The car goes up, 10 seconds later the car goes down. The manager comes over to tell me that the reason that screw snapped on the DP is because the turbo is falling apart, and that i should have it looked at immediately. Somehow im hesistant to accept his diagnostic, but i guess ill put the car up sometime and have a look-see. Of course im still looking for all the grease patches the tech was kind enough to leave behind.

Not a bad extra for the $25 weld fee.

Pulling off the ramps im greeted by a crashing sound. Seems they managed to ground backing off the ramps. Get home and spend some time with a channel-lock bending the frame lip straight, and then spraying with rubber coating (since the undercoating was rubbed away).

What else. Got to see a kid puking his heart out of the window of a Navigator at 80mph. Got to go 19 miles on I80/294 in 90 minutes attempting to leave Chicago. Got to see multiple dump trucks hauling gravel uncovered, and one was also offering a free muddy water bath to all vehicles behind it.

I need to pick up a late 80's Delta 88, dark blue...

On the nice notes, fun to tool along on the highway when traffic is like boosting between 80-100 mph. Got to spend some time at the OSU Vet Hospitals, that was really interesting to see. Got to walk some dogs that were patients, etc...Also managed to get the very last copy of the Warcraft III expansion from a computer store...guess that's good, right?

Cheers,
Sameer